1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rogue Violin bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnthonyCastillo, Feb 20, 2020.

1. AnthonyCastillo

AnthonyCastillo Commercial User

Feb 20, 2020
    So I recently got a rogue violin bass and the bridge is kind of off to the side a bit and I need help trying to readjust it and get a good sound and feel out of playing it. What should I do?

leftybass54 likes this.
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    DSCN0011.JPG DSCN0349.JPG EA-260.JPG First of all - welcome to Talk Bass! Next; about your Rogue VB-100... I have one, too; as well as a few others with similar bridges. So;
    - There are a number of basses and guitars with bridges like this - and trapeze tail pieces. This kind of bridge is known as a "Floating Bridge" - which means that it "Floats" on top of the body, and isn't attached to anything. The tension of the strings is what's holding it down onto the body. My Gretsch Broadkaster, and my '70s Epiphone EA-260, also have floating bridges.
    - So, will it move if you push/pull it one way or the other? Yes, it will; but with full string tension pushing down on it, you'll have to work at it. If you slacken off the strings, it should move easily. And, yes; if the strings get really slack, or you take them off? The bridge will fall right off... Like I said, only the string tension is holding it on. Although floating bridges work OK, they do have some drawbacks:
    1. Because they move, you can mess your tuning and intonation up pretty easily; especially when changing strings. If your bridge is where you want it, the easiest way to keep it there, is to change strings one at a time. But, you need to check it; and, don't be surprised if it moves a little, anyway...
    2. If it does move - or falls off - you will have to re-position it. Which involves measuring the scale length down the neck, and very carefully placing the G string side of the bridge at the correct spot. Some people put actual marks on the bass where the bridge should sit (my Gretsch has those); the Epiphone has a little paper label that says "place bridge here". The Rogue? I have to go through the whole procedure. It's not hard, after you do it a few times. It's just fiddly and time consuming...
    So.. yes, you can move the bridge back to where it belongs. But, you will have to do some measuring to find out exactly where that spot is. Position it so that the G string saddle piece is exactly at the scale length spot. Starting with the bridge straight across the body (like the one on my Rogue), tune all the strings. Then check the G and E string intonation. If the G String is off a little, you can move the little saddle, or move the whole bridge up or back a hair. Then check the E string. If God's smiling on you, it will be intonated. If not, you can either move the saddle, or angle the whole bridge (which is quite common). Just be careful not to move the G string out of place. After you get the E and G strings intonated, check the other two. They may be intonated, but don't be surprised if they aren't. If they're close, you may be able to get them spot on with the saddle pieces. If not? You'll just have to be satisfied with "close enough". When these basses were popular, perfect intonation wasn't a big concern; nobody ever got up past the 12th fret, anyway. I got really lucky with my Rogue; the bridge is picture perfect, and with those Rotosound Tapes, it intonates perfectly, too..
    So, anyway... welcome, again. Enjoy your Rogue; they're a lot of fun, once you get them sorted. And, please join us on the Rogue VB-100 Owners Club...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    leftybass54 and iagtrplyr like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021