rogue violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patriotslayer, Feb 28, 2003.

1. i was just wondering if anyone else has played it. for how much i payed it was outstanding. i liked the short scale neck, but i didnt like how the bridge could be moved up and down.:meh:
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm someone actually bought a Rogue...we need a TB vote to see if you can stay or not. ;) I have seen them but never played one. How does it compare to the Hofner? What ($$) did you end up dropping for it?
  3. I used to have one. It played very well for being a Rogue. Yes, the bridge makes it very hard to set up the bass, but it still had a very good sound to it.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got one of the Brice violin basses, they've got to be the same thing I'm pretty sure...

Not bad at all for under $200.

I got it just to see if I was ruined by the pricier stuff, but nope, turns out I can still work a budget bass too. Neat.

It's definitely got that short-scale/thumpy/hollowbody tone going on. Nice with flats.

Way too neck-divey though.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Rogue violin bass, and I've been around here a lot longer than you! ;)

Seriously, I wanted that sound, but no way was I going to pay for a real Hofner. I like it a lot, although I carved a new bridge for it out of bocote. It is decently intonated now, and actually sounds great with flats on it.

It is very neck-divey, but I inlayed a metal extension in the back that angles up toward the E string, which drastically improved the balance. Neck dive sucks.
  6. cool. im glad i wasnt the only one. i payed no more than 200 for it, but it seems alot more expensive. and its very intimidating to all of those beginers with p-basses.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I saw a used one at my local Music Go Round for $ is aweful... I'm glad that you have a good one.

I also check out a used Epiphone violin bass at my local Guitar Center and while it was twice as much, it was a much nicer instrument.

The Rogue that I played still had a piece of foam between the bridge and the instrument's top. I would think that a little dab of glue would hold it in place once you're sure that you have it in the right spot (use the nut to 12th fret dimension as a benchmark).

8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree! It's called the Viola, actually. The Epi also has some very nice sounding humbuckers on it which gives it a broader tonal range than the others...including the Hofner! ;) Here's mine:

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The foam is under the brigde for shipping purposes so if the bridge moves around during transport, it dosent scratch the finish. :)
  10. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't understand the control plate on those kinds of basses, which are ugly. Other than those I think they look cool. Never played yet, but if I see one, I won't hesitate to try.

Maybe those who have one could post MP3s?
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha..ya, well I have a nifty little picture with my name so I get prioiry, how about that one!!!:p;) LOL...I've never played a Violin bass actually, but I've always wanted to. I never see them aorund any of the music stores here in denver.
  12. I have owned one for 3 years... came from MF with a VERY nice TKL (made-in-canada) hard case, so it survived the trip to Russia very nicely.

I recently put a set of HEAVY GAUGE Rotosound RS-77 monel flatwounds on, and it sounds wonderful!

The only nit-pick I have with it is that cheesy material they used for the pickguard and the control plate. Other than that I am pleased with the aesthetics of it. Mine has excellent flame on the front and back, and an amazing birdseye maple headstock (visible from the back only...)

I never liked the 'two volumes and tone switch' arrangement, so I opened up each of the humbuckers, and upgraded them with "2-wire plus foil shield" cables. Then I wired the controls as Volume & Tone, and rewired the three slide switches as follows:

1) series/parallel
    2) phase reversal
    3) alternate tone cap selector (I put in a honkin big foil cap)

Its got tone to spare, now :bassist:
  13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Rockandroller, I totally agree with you about the cheesy pickguard. I immediately removed mine, and it looks much better.
  14. i just got my rouge vb100 today and its awsome. i chose to leave the foam in there just because i dont want to scratch the finish