Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Jul 14, 2001.

1. What's the deal with Rogue basses? Why are they so effin' cheap? Wouldn't that categorize them as sucky? But then, so many people buy them! Just look at the Musician's Friend top seller list. Last time I read it, Rogue had several products on it. I just want to know if I'm being paranoid and missing out on a great deal or if I'm very wise. Then again, it could be neither.

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    cuz.... they.... suck????

3. You get what you pay for. There IS a reason that it is priced at $100, everything about it is made as cheaply as possible, yes, you can get worse basses (old imports anyone?) but these are the worst that are in production right now, IMHO.

FWIW, my friend who plays bass in the jazz band bought the 5 string so he could leave it at school and leave his Fender 5 at home. He likes the Rogue for what it does.

4. So, I'm wise and other people are stupid? Wow!

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you need a $100 bass, a rogue might be a good choice for you. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you are better off saving for a bit longer and buying a used bass on ebay for $200 rather than a new bass. But it's your call. MF has a good return policy. -

6. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    I'm confused about Rogue, too. I saw a Rogue Strat that said "Rogue by Squier" on it, but I've also seen products that say "Rogue by Gibson" and "Rogue by Martin & co." What's that about?

P.S. Cheap doesn't always categorize things as sucky IMO.

7. 1. they're mad of crappy wood
    2. they have crap electronics
    3. they have bent necks
    4. they sell good cuz they're cheap
    5. they sell good cuz they play like butter for some odd reason

8. Recently I went to the Musician's Friend clearance center in Kansas City, and they had quite a few Rogues. Almost all of them have broken strings and are unplayable. I still have never tried one of their electric basses.
    To answer another question, Rogue itself as a company doesnt have a factory, like many other company's out there, and the guitar is just made in the same factory as Squire. The other products are made in the other factories. Just because they are made in the same place doesnt mean they are as good as a Squire or what have you.

9. Well, The Rogue violin bass is on sale at musiciansfriend.com for $229. So it's not a bad deal.

10. Actually, if you change the strings and electonics and regularly tune the neck, it's not a bad bass. That is if you get one of the good ones like i did.

11. I bought a used Rogue back in the day -slightly over priced. However after a few months I snapped the nut tried to fix it by putting in a totally different nut, screwed the bass up pretty bad and then traded it for a pedal that broke. Then I gave the pedal away. My opinion you are just setting yourself up for a chain of events that you can do without. Well actually the only reason I would buy a rogue would be to lend it out to those people that always have to borrow something.

12. I also see them regularly at the Musician's Friend center here in Kansas City. The one thing I notice most about them is that almost all their nuts are broken. I think if you were to replace the nut, you might have an OK bass. I picked up a fretless, the nut was broken at the E string, and played it a while and it sounded amazing on the other 3 strings un-amplified. I think I might get it just to screw around with fretless from time to time. It also might make for a good stage show if I ever wanted to smash it. Or maybe firewood, sawdust, termite food, etc, etc, (insert Rogue bashing here)...

Mark