Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Can someone explain to me why Rogue amps are so dang cheap? A Rogue 50 watt is $150, a crate 50 watt is $330, a Fender 25 watt is $260.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Because they are crap! Rogue is MF's "house brand," and are terrible wastes of money.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with Mega on this one, there is a big reason that the Rogues are so cheap.

I would not believe that 50 watt power rating, the Crate 50 watter would blow it out of the water, volume wise. Heck, the 25 watt Fender might, too!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey hey hey! Lay off the Rouge. True, they are a peice of crap, and have NO bottom end (are high and tinny), but a rouge was my first amp (present, not my fault) so I've got a little bit of a soft spot for them. I've moved up, but come on, leave the poor amps alone!

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, they still suck though. We shouldnt lay off...we dont want this guy to go buy a piece of crap!

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    >

Next command? :D

7. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey guys, hold on just a sec. I mean, I'm not gonna try to tell you that Rogues are top of the line equipment or anything, but come on, they're not as bad as you say. I bought a little 20 watt practice amp for 50 bucks a while back from Musician's Friend, and it has worked just fine for practicing in my room and stuff like that. You can't deny that it's plenty loud for a practice amp.

I mean, there is no way in hell that I would ever try and use it for anything but practicing, but that's what I got it for. And at $50, I wouldn't really mind if it crapped out a year after I got it. But, I know that won't happen because it's decently sturdy. On the other hand, I would never buy any of Rogue's bigger amps (like their 4x10, heh heh) because they would have to be pretty low quality. You can say what you want, but I still say it's a good deal.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You can bet that the "50 watt" Rogue is not 50 watts RMS, which is how the other two amps you mentioned are rated.

If all you have is $150-200 look for a used Peavey TNT.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here is another vote for the TNT in your price range, 130 watts and a 15" speaker, this amp will be way louder than a Rogue with a nondescript 12" speaker.

Of course, the Rogue will not break your back or endanger your hearing(the Peavey is very loud and VERY heavy!), so I guess it is safer than the Peavey.