Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogues.....Suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN

ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN banned.

Jun 13, 2002
    Did some research, and well, i get the impression "all rogues suck." now, most of you may believe this, and i can see you have an opinion. however, nows the time for mine. im sick of hearing all these so-called "bassists" spit at equipment and lesser quality basses that they would never play, simply because of the quality. i have a rogue 120w combo amp, and a ****ty dean bass that i got in a pack to start with. ive only been playing since january, but im pretty damn good (not in my mind, but ive gotten enough compliments to convince me). so here's what im saying: the rogue amp is pretty damn good to me, in fact, i like the sound. and my bass plays like a dream. proving MY theory that no matter what equipment you have, if you cant play, you still sound like ****. im tired of hearing all of you self-proclaimed "pros" telling these amateurs that they need 4x's the watts of the guitar....dont buy this....but this instead. i think its about time we realize that no matter what equipment you have, or how good you are, we are all bassists, and in a way are related. its a brotherhood here, and respect comes with the registration. therefore, dont hate someone because they have a small rig, or crappy bass. they play bass regardless, and if they like their equipment, they like it, get over it. its about time all you ego-tistical "bass" players stop showing all your pics of giant rigs and effects you bought to cover up your lack of playing ability.

sincerly,

Dean/Rogue BASSIST

2. So if you had a rouge bass and practiced on that for 10 years and got real good and then someone discovered you and you got rich and bought some great basses and equipment then you would just be trying to make yourself look like a better player than you really are? Cant people buy what they like and can afford, show it off, and still play well?

3. and yes, rouges do suck ass.:D

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you like Rogue... good for you, but if you play music for a living, quaility and sound become a big issue. You must have reliable, professional gear... you have no choice.

5. ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN

ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN banned.

Jun 13, 2002
    my friend,

im sorrie to say, youve missed my point. now, what i meant for YOU to understand is this. im tired of all these people with thousands of dollars to blow on rigs spitting it in others faces. they show off how great their rig is, but never how great they sound. why waste bandwith with senless pics of your rig, why not put up some mp3's? i play my rogue, and i love it. its suits my needs, and fits my budget. i in fact, are (and i quote): Cant people buy what they like and can afford, show it off, and still play well?

l8r dude

6. In all respect, SP, I own a Rogue 5-string, and I would compare it with a lot of other basses out there, I've not had a problem in the 2 years I've owned it....Yes, other basses are out there, and are a helluva lot better, but for the cash, I've yet to see a new bass beat it

7. ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN

ReCkLeSsAbAnDoN banned.

Jun 13, 2002
    thanks DryWater'Bass. glad to find another satisfied rogue owner.
    :)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reck ~

What you need is an Eden WT-800 with two D-410XSTs, and a Lakland 55-94 to play through all that. Just trying to help.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    .[​IMG]

You knew it was inevitable. I know, I know ... it's not exactly what I said you need.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if thet can afford it, and it fits their budget, what's your beef with them? So you can be proud of the rouge, but they can't be proud of their expensive gear, because then it's flaunting?
    :confused:
    Please explain this to me.

11. HA HA HA HA HA HA :D :D :eek:

12. That's a hot rig Munjibunga, I must say. Wish i had the money for it.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, mine's TWO D-410XLTs, a WT-300 as a preamp and a Carvin DCM1000 for power.

I got Munji one upped. Of course, he's really good at bass, so I think we break even. :D

14. i don't know i think i'd rather have an 1x15 rather then two 2x10. More versitile. He can get a fatter low end for the Lakland.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh, with 1000 watts of power, I can FORCE more lows outta my rig. Volume, y'know.

Cours, I'd really like Munji's Rig myself, for practice.

16. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i had a rogue setup when i started, built like poopy

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, Cronus: so did I! Rogue 20 watter. Built like poopy is right.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I have a D-410XLT, also. But here in earthquake country, it would not be to code to pile it on the heap. You're looking at my practice rig.

When I was a kid, we had zero money. It's all about compensation.

[​IMG]

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amen Munji. Compensating for crappy gear and parents who didn't love us enough.

20. I play with a pick.
    -Nothing wrong with that

I listen to and play punk music.
    -Nothing wrong with that either

I can't read music.
    -It would be to your musical benefit to learn how, but that is up to you. If you want to progress only so far, that is your choice to make.

I have never had a lesson.
    -Thats comendable, but you can only teach yourself so much. Once you get to a point, you may need someone to show you how to progress further. But maybe not.

I am self-taught.
    -see above

I have tons of stickers ALL over my bass.
    -Who is anyone to tell you that is wrong? If you want to put stickers on yoiur bass, go for it. It will lower the resale value some, if you ever sell it.

I own and LOVE my Rogue 120w Combo.
    -I own a Squier, it's good. I also own a Yamaha which is better. Nothing wrong with entry and mid level gear, and if you love it, great. you may eventually want something better though.

I play a Dean bass.
    -see above

I love Blink 182 and Mark Hoppus.
    -No comment.

I still play bass, and
    I am not any less of a bassist because of this.

-Maybe not. But limiting your knowledge base, tonal range, and styles of playing, in my eyes, limits you very much.

Did some research, and well, i get the impression "all rogues suck." now, most of you may believe this, and i can see you have an opinion. however, nows the time for mine. im sick of hearing all these so-called "bassists" spit at equipment and lesser quality basses that they would never play, simply because of the quality.

Why is it so bad for someone who plays professionally, or has been a hobbyist for years, not to play low end, beginner gear? I'd love to drive a Mercedes, but I can not afford one, so I drive a Toyota. however, I'll never drive a Yugo, because of the poor quality. Same with my basses. I'm not going to buy something that has a reputation for being a pile of crap.

I have a rogue 120w combo amp, and a ****ty dean bass that i got in a pack to start with. ive only been playing since january, but im pretty damn good (not in my mind, but ive gotten enough compliments to convince me). so here's what im saying: the rogue amp is pretty damn good to me, in fact, i like the sound. and my bass plays like a dream. proving MY theory that no matter what equipment you have, if you cant play, you still sound like ****.

That isn't really a theory. Besides, that has been said hundreds of times before. Good gear will make you sound better, but it will not make you play better. Bad gear will make you sound worse, even if you play great.

im tired of hearing all of you self-proclaimed "pros" telling these amateurs that they need 4x's the watts of the guitar....dont buy this....but this instead.

Wattage does matter. If you prefer to be drowned out, that is your choice. And if we can not offer our opinions on gear to someone who is new to bass, then why the hell are we here? But hey, maybe professioanls have no idea what they are talking about, but the guy whos been playing for 6 months knows it all.

i think its about time we realize that no matter what equipment you have, or how good you are, we are all bassists, and in a way are related. its a brotherhood here, and respect comes with the registration.

No! Respect is EARNED. The sooner you realize that and quit make broad accusations to the entire board, you might earn some of that respect. Also being part of a "brotherhood" means that we should all be open to any help, advice, and opinions that are offered. It seems that you just want everyone to pat you on the back because you have begginer gear, and are happy with it. If you were really happy, there would be no reason to start this thread.

I've got some beginner gear, most people think Squiers suck. Most of them DO! I like mine, but I know it isn't even close in comparison to a Sadowsky. It only compares to a MIM Fender because of the upgrades I've put into it.

therefore, dont hate someone because they have a small rig, or crappy bass.

I seriously doubt anyone hates you because of your gear. I'd like to see something to back that statement up.

they play bass regardless, and if they like their equipment, they like it, get over it. its about time all you ego-tistical "bass" players stop showing all your pics of giant rigs and effects you bought to cover up your lack of playing ability.

:rolleyes: Yeah, ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.