Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roi Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 8, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Several months ago, an acquaintance, who sells tonewoods to some well-known names in custom bass lutherie, clued me into Roi Basses of Levittown, NY.

The word I got is that some Fodera owners are now Roi Bass, ("R"), converts.....equal or better quality for much less money. If you don't know who Mike Frost is, he was/is a Fodera endorser who is now a Roi Bass lover, (as well as a composer and bass instructional materials author).. One site about him with pics of his Roi basses is - http://www16.brinkster.com/mcfrost/bio.htm
    (His Brickhouse cabs, pictured there, could be interesting, too).

I'm told the mind/hands behind Roi basses is Roy Hutchinson and that they make very few at a time.

Very little info I can find about them as Roi Instruments website is just under construction - http://www.cliffordroi.com/ (The logo could be mistaken for those of Ray Roger's R Basses and Roscoe basses, IMO).

Anyway, if anyone knows something more concrete about them, I'd appreciate your posting it here.

2. I've been emailing back and forth to Roy. Here's what I've learned:

• He does not prefer hidden neck thru
    • His scalelength standard is 35 1/2". Will not do 34" with a "B" string
    • Single cutaway is not standard and not recommended (weight/balance)
    • The standard finish is an oil and wax finish (satin).
    • On the neck through models there can only be a 3 piece back
    • Block inlays will not happen because it removes too much material from the fingerboard. this weakens the FB and reduces sonic properties.
    • The nut on his basses is pressed into the fretboard for sonic reasons (brass)
    • A 5 piece neck is usually extra but sometimes free depending what kind of stock is available.
    • Tuners are Hipshot Ultra lite
    • The bridges are made in house or he will use Hipshot A bridge
    • Body cores are alder, Af. Mahogany, black limba, sometimes maple and walnut
    • All electronics are made in house
    • The pre amps and pickups are silent and not available anywhere else
    • Other electronics would be considered but are not guarenteed.

Jeff

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Prices and availability?

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've had a Roi bass for 6 months now and can tell you that these are very special instruments. Mine is a six string with a bolt-on neck, African Mahogany body, Purple heart back, five piece Purple heart / Maple neck, and an unreal Maple burl top.

The bass has proprietary pick-ups and electronics. The pre-amp is a three band with boost and cut (Bass, Mids, Treble) and includes a passive tone control. The signal is dead quiet.

I'm extremely happy with my bass. Mine reminds me of a really good jazz bass, with much more flexibility. I can get the pefect Jaco finger-style sound as well as an amazing slap sound - and everything inbetween.

I've played quite a few of these basses. Roi also offers a pick-up option with a much thicker, hi-fi sound for those who like a more modern tone. I've yet to play a Roi bass that I havent wanted to own. And he makes a KILLER fretless...

Roy takes instrument construction and tone very seriously. He has given serious thought and research to every aspect of bass construction. I consider him almost a "bass scientist"!! He is very careful about combining woods that will compliment each other. He will not build you a bass that he doesn't feel will offer the best tone possible - regardless of how much you're willing to pay. To me, that's an admirable quality.

A previous post mentioned Fodera owners switching over; I've have owned many Foderas - I currently have two in my personal collection. I love Fodera basses and will have them forever. The Roi bass to me is a supplement to my collection, not a replacement for another instrument And to me, that is VERY high compliment. I've never found another bass that hasn't felt like it was in a completely different league next to my Foderas. These two luthiers offer very different products (I don't see them as replacements for one another) that are of the absolute highest quality available in an electric bass. You cannot go wrong with either.

You can reach Roy at (516) 735-2091. I'd also be happy to answer any questions about my Roi bass.

I hope this was helpful.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx Joelc, Ive been looking into having a custom job done for me in the near future. Does anyone know what his instruments go for in terms of $$$?

6. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
  7. Not to be too dense, but who's the "Clifford" in "Clifford Roi"?

Mike Zimmerman

8. alon

alon

Jun 11, 2002
    If I remember correctly "Clifford" was a close relative of Roi`s.

I am a proud owner of two Clifford Roi 6 String Basses.I have a 4 string on the way.

I`m a "dead-string" player.I do a lot of reggae and fat-back funk playing.I often go months without changing strings.Roi`s original pick-ups and pre-amp are so sensitive that I can still get most any tone I desire even when my strings are six feet under.A little turn of the knobs and chordal solo pieces are crystal clear.

A butterfly sang my song for 16 years and I loved her.Now I must confess that I set her free.

peace I respect,

alon

9. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York