1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roku + Netflix and Amazon on Demand. Win?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 17, 2009.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've been considering getting one of these to hook up to a 40" Samsung LCD and becoming a Netflix subscriber. I wouldn't even be considering Netflix if it weren't for the Roku box.

Reviews seem pretty decent. Do any of you use the Roku? Can you comment on it please? Is it worth it? How often do you use it and what is the Netflix streaming selection like?

bc

2. Beno

Beno

Jan 11, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't have that, but I do have an Xbox360 that can do the same thing. My only advice would be that if you want had quality make sure you have a fairly fast internet connection... The netflix player for the 360 doesn't have the option to pick which format you get so if you have bad internet you can't pick hd and then let it buffer for 10 minutes.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My Internet connection downloads at 6 to 7mbps. I wonder if that will be sufficient?

bc

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You shouldn't even have a hiccup at that speed, and the quality, when available, should be very very good. (I have @ 5mbps at home, very rarely any issues) the Roku tests your connection and adjusts resolution accordingly.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No 5.1 sound yet. Boo!

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What's the connection?

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I was joking. Did you watch the clip? The "connection" as it were is that it's obviously not enough for you that you are streaming HD movies over the internet right to your tv through a little box...something not even close to a possibility 10 years ago, and your big quibble is it isn't surround sound yet.

I was jabbing yer side. They are working on it. Would you trade picture clarity for surround sound? I wouldn't, not at this time.

H

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You chose what you want. I wouldn't even consider a service like this without surround sound. Sound is half of the movie experience.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's a very old thread - there has to be newer ones.

I seriously looked into this kind of a system a few months ago; the lack of 5.1 audio at this time kills it for me. From what I understand some people with very slow connections were getting high-def pictures no problem on avs and elsewhere.

If you're interested, you should be aware that there are a couple of Blu-Ray players that have this capability built in. Not sure if they come with wireless connections like the Roku player (I wouldn't need a wireless connector for my installation).

11. True, but there are still some comments including a link from one member that seems to go pretty in depth.

Here's a search I did with Roku in the title of the thread.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=12660592
    (not sure if that link will work without being a member)

This one seems to have some good info.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100472&highlight=roku

One other thing you have to take into account is that not all Netflix movies are available to stream and "watch instantly" as they put it. The number of movies have been growing since I've been a member and from what I understand they are still adding more.

Another (cheaper) alternative is to buy a DVI to HDMI cable and an optical cable. Run them from your PC to your TV. I did this a few month ago, but so far have only tested it with a DVD. I plan on running these two cables from one room to another as a permanent hook up. The main purpose was for gaming and surfing TB on the big screen, and NetFlix was going to be a perk if the quality was good. Maybe I can hook it up by this weekend and see how it works out.

12. sowder

sowder Guest

Mar 1, 2008
    Dude I agree...I spent more on my surround sound system than my TV. That's why I hate all these Starz Play Netflix Vongo video on demand but over internet things. The picture quality still isn't good enough and the sound sucks!

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree that surround sound is pretty important to me too. I had surround sound long before I had a decent TV.

bc

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm really liking the selections actually. Some good TV series (Survivorman, Deadliest Catch, The Office, 30 Rock) and seems like a pretty good selection of feature-length documentaries.

bc

15. Yeah, it's actually not that bad in those genres. When I'm channel surfing I usually wind up watching something on Discovery, or History, etc...

I think their streaming service is a good companion to getting actual DVD/BRD from Netflix, but that's about it. Like mention above the quality simply is quite there yet (for movies) and is far from being a Blu-Ray killer. I know there is some debate out there on that, but the only thing killing Blu-Ray is the price of Blu-Ray disc. In the future, who knows. As fiber optics get more popular and as the connections get faster (more bandwidth) we may be able to get 1080P with 5.1/7.1. For now, I really enjoy getting those red envelopes in the mail. Their streaming service is just a perk at this point. I think the minimum unlimited plan at $8.99 per month may be what you have to get if you plan on streaming movies. If your main interest is for the Watch Instantly selection they have it's not worth it. IMO, of course.

For that $8.99 per month you will get 1 DVD at a time, unlimited per month. They charge an extra $1.00 per month to upgrade to Blu-Ray disc.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You can also stream movies from Amazon on demand with the Roku.

bc

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    DigMe will eventually break down and get one, and then post his review. At that point, I'll decide to check it out or not based on his review.

:D

-Mike

18. True.

Much better selection, and newer movies too, but they charge per show. The only thing I found about their prices from Roku was "TV shows and movies" advertised "from .99 cents". I checked out Amazons site and they showed some newer movies to rent (watch it now) for $3.99. You can also download it for $14.99. All you have to do is register your Roku player with Amazon and you can stream it from your computer to the Roku player just like Netflix.

They also show the best quality you can get is 480P in stereo. That's pretty much VCR quality at DVD prices. I'm not sure if you get better movie prices if you buy the Roku player or not, though. I didn't see anything to indicate that on Amazons website.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of the Roku player, it's just the available bandwidth to make it great isn't here yet. Personally, when it comes to movies I'd rather wait a day or two to get the BR disc in my hands. Other things like the TV shows and documentaries would be fine at streaming quality for my taste. Mater of fact, Nexflix has an awesome selection of concerts where most are in stereo. I'd love it if there were more of that available to stream. I don't know. If my DVI to HDMI cable idea doesn't work out I might consider getting a Roku player. It's got a few good user reviews and It has a 30 day return policy. Worth trying out.