1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roku

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MrTAteMyBalls, May 13, 2011.

1. Most recent thread about wifi streaming TV is pretty old, so here goes.

Just cancelled cable and got a Roku box last week. So far, I am pretty happy with it. Between netflix, Hulu, amazon VOD, pandora there is a lot of content. There are some private channels out there, too. Like Nowhere TV which is really fantastic and probably my favorite channel. We have been able to find about 90% of the shows we used to watch. Not bad! Plus we are saving about 60 bucks a month, even after paying for netflix and hulu.

Anyone else using this, and if you know of any cool apps or channels let us all know!

2. Also, the xds version has a USB port that will play audio, photos, and video. Pretty nice.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Get some red/cyan old-fashioned 3D glasses and then subscribe to the Drive-in movies channel for $5/yr and watch "It Came From Outer Space."

4. Ooooh that sounds fun!

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I have a Boxee Box myself, and never looked back.

We're living the future, maaaan.

6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Wow...I just looked at the Roku website....I didn't know it did all that. I may have to get me one.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    hmmmm. I need to look at this a little closer

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've had a Roku for about 6 months now, and it's great! In addition to Netflix there's a new channel called "Crackle" that has a pretty good selection of movies for free. I also like "renting" movies off Amazon, whenever there's a movie that the free channels don't have. And there is at least one pay channel for sports--I know sports fans have often said they need cable for their games.

9. crackle has old shows like sanford and sons, also.

get nowhere TV. it has shows from natgeo, food network, HGTV, adult swim. Watched a documentary about the invention of the electric guitar from smithsonian channel.

10. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Love the Roku. Just wish Netflix was streaming more stuff. I'm watching the HBO series "Rome" right now and for the life of me I can't understand why Netflix doesn't stream that.

11. well, netflix does not stream anything until it hits DVD from what I can tell. So, this time next year, your current season of ROME will be on there. Does ROME stream at HBO.com??? if so, someone might have written a private chanel to stream it to roku. check the roku forums.

12. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wait a second! So there are people writing roku channels that you can access through roku? :eyebrow:

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    they are abandoning physical format in the next year or so and going full streaming (I believe / suspect on tiers pricing)...

Buddy used to run the Beta on a cracked Apple TV. Love Boxee, just wish the hardware wasn't 3 bills.

edit: now 2 bills, BUT, I am now making my own Boxee, for free. Love that. No longer invites...I wasn't aware. Thanks for bringing it up!!

14. Yup, it's open source. anyone can download the developers kit for free.

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I suddenly got VERY interested in this. :eek:

16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    MakiPron Fap-fap-alooza?

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah check out the channels they have, it's like public access cable, if you remember that from the 80's. :) And you can have "private" channels as well, where only invitees have access.

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I don't know how, but we actually have a local Madison CBS channel on the Roku. The only content is their newscasts.

Hub Pub is also quite funny. Have turned my family on to those programs, especially those educational newsreels from the 50s like "Teen Years: Time of Turmoil" by the Michigan Dept of Public Health. Hilarious!

19. Definitely going to have to look into this. It's the future of home entertainment, the big networks better be worried!

20. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Roku is great. I like the stand alone box better than the built in version in the bluray player.