1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland bass cube 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Yes i have done a search, but it didn't tell me exactly what i wanted to know.

I saw one in a shop today and it looked quite puny but i've heard very good things about them, including from my teacher who knows someone who bought one.

i have a gallien-krueger 400RB-IV/210 combo, and was wanting something smaller/lighter that i can take on the train and this seems like a nice little thing.

how well would it stand up in a band practise situation? (nothing really loud, but not mouse-quiet either)

And how would it compare (PURELY volume, i already know this thing sounds pretty nice) to my other amp?

Any info, and other info that i should know about would be really really nice :)

Thanks.
    Bass Junkie.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Cube 100 does just fine in a moderate volume rehearsal situation. I used mine for a long time playing alongside two electric guitars, keys, and drums. I didn't break a sweat. Honestly, if I know I'll have decent PA support, I'm planning to gig with it. I don't think it will be close to your G-K combo though. Think of it as about two thirds of the G-K.

3. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have been musing the CUBE 100 too... I played a CUBE 30 for a while and I just loved it, I was shocked at how loud it's 30 watts was and it small size (a plus for the trains here in Tokyo.) So that got me thinking about the 100, not much bigger physically but 3 times the power... the shop didn't have one when I went to try it out...

The 100 also has a balanced out, and I have grown very fond of sending a line to the PA, when I play. (Often I just run out of my DI to the PA with no amp, the ultimate small set-up).

The 100 seems like a great solution to me, and I do like the modeling controls too... hmmm.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Just back from a gig with the CB100. Irish pub with about 60 people. Guitarist used a Peavey Classic 30. Drums unmic'd. We played rock from the 60's and 70's. Wasn't even pushing the amp. It sounds great.

I've left my Markbass Little Mark head and SWR 1-15 cab home for the past five gigs. I carry the Sadowksy in a gig bag on my back, and carry the Roland with both hands. One trip.

I Love it.

5. Well it seems like its a decent amp, i wil try and get back in to test it out, any recomendations for things i should try on it, like good things on the amp that i should know about?

6. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Subscribed. I've been curious about this amp too. It appears that I made a mistake when I first started playing by buying way more equipment than it turns out I need. This Roland could be all I actually need.

7. hmm my dad doesn't seem to like the idea of getting rid of the GK for the roland, but i still think it would be a good idea.

8. So is there anything i should test out in particular if i go to try out the amp, i know how to test out amps but i was wondering if there is something in particular that the roland does well that i should try?

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Roland will not sound as big and full as your GK. A lot depends on what you need a bass amp to do. There is an argument, and a good one, to have as much power as you can afford. The question I ask is what are my expectations from a 300 watt (for example) combo with 1-12? Do I expect it to replace an SVT with 8-10's? No.

The other thing I throw out to you, is, is their an audible difference between 100 watts and 150 watts? Not really. You can really get caught up in the "need 300 watts and as many speakers as you can afford."

I have learned from this Roland (and not the Schroeder Mini 12+) that you can get pretty big decent clear defined sound from a 1-12 combo with just 100 watts. It will never sound as big as my big rig, but, it sounds really good to me. I think that as you get smaller with amps you have to really know where and when you can use it and works really well. There's a break point in venue size and volume needs that you can or can't get away with such a small unit. Luckily for me, the past five gigs have been just right for this amp. I know it will not work in all cases. I think it may surprise me when I put it on top of the SWR 1-15 pushing more air. I have a sneaky feeling I could get away with 100 watts, but that remains to be seen.

So, given all of that, in my view, for rehearsing, playing small pubs, playing standards from the 60's and 70's with a bunch of guys in their 40's and 50's, this is a neat little amp. The old guys I play with have been really impressed by its small size and surprisingly big sounds from such a small box.

I think the name Roland and bass amps does not sound glamorous or have the credibility of other brands. Frankly, I could care less. It's got tough coat bedliner spray, no rat fur. Not only does it have corner protectors but it has full length edge protectors molded on. It's pretty robust.

Every amp is a compromise in something, be it weight, volume, sound, etc. This is an interesting unit, that had I not accidently discover it, I would not have bought it.

I think Roland really optimized the design of the enclosure, the dynamics of a bass in the processing of the signal, to deliver a full big bottomed sound. This cab definitely should be placed on the floor and not elevated, so as to optimize the sound.

I'm sure there are other great combos that compete with it. Amps are scarce around here to try and I was satisfied with this one.

Good luck and let us know what you decide, one way or another.

10. Well i'm having a really tough time deciding.

I will probably be going into a metal band which will probably mean i'll need a louder unit like my GK, but theres a possability that i can get into a more pop/punk sort of band which i wouldn't need to compete with heavily distorted guitars.

also, if i sell the GK i will probably make a loss on it, i paid £450 for it brand new and i dont want to lose too much money.

there is a way i could have both amps but i'm not sure about having two amps that are similar with what they can do, it just seems a bit pointless and i might end up using one amp more than i use the other anyway.

Argh, help me decide TB :mad:

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    If I were you, I'd keep the GK.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Keep the GK and buy a smaller practice amp used. You may have to play louder gigs and may need to add a cabinet to the GK rig at some point.