1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland Basscube 100 - pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thombas, Jun 3, 2014.

1. I went to help out a band I know get ready for a gig - where there regular bassist was on vacation. I was instructed to bring just my bass, there was good gear available. Anyway, for some reason they were moved from their regular rehearsal space (and gear) to a smaller room that day. And the available amp in that room was a Roland Basscube 100!!! This is a rock band, with 2 guitarist and a fairly hard hitting drummer, so I was not pleased. But hey, what can you do, lets see how it goes. Initially I found it boxy sounding, and I cannot figure out, why anybody makes an amp without a visual indication of when you clip the input. I got some of the boxiness out by tweaking the eq, but wasn't that happy about the tone. But then I started to fiddle around with the model presets, and that did the trick. The "FLIPTOP" and "BASS360" settings created a sound which, in the mix, cut through surprisingly well, and eliminated the boxy feeling the tone had "straight" and made it sound fuller than I could tweaking the eq. I sat nicely among the others, which I would not have expected from a 100w amp with a 12 inch (coaxial) speaker. Of course it won't knock down walls, but for those of you looking for a low budget, compact combo for home and band rehearsal, this isn't a bad option in my opinion.

2. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil
    Yes, these amps are amazing, i'm a happy owner of a 120XL, very good lows and volume for a 12" speaker amp. The amp simulator is great and it have a lot of effects too, 2 channels, very impressive.

3. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I also own the Cube 120, and it's a fantastic practice amp. You can dial in the emulation to an original amp, an Ampeg B-15, a Fender Bassman 100, a Trace Elliot AH600SMX with a 1048, an Acoustic 360 118, a SWR SM-400 + Goliath (4 x 10”) + Big Ben (1 x 18”), and an Ampeg SVT + 810E. It also has a an Aux-in to play along backing tracks or a full song, a looper, and some traditional effects (reverb, delay, chorus, octave, compression and overdrive). It's a perfect stage monitor as well (it has a DI out, foot switch ins, and a ground lift switch), and a decent power output, to cut through a reasonable-loud drummer.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Been looking for a smaller combo and this one is interesting - bit pricier than I was expecting but not unreasonably so.
    Not quite sure how they reconcile 120W output and 40W power consumption...

5. Modelling power section?...;)

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've always liked the Roland stuff. I've been using a DB700 combo for about 10 years, and recently got the Micro Cube. Great preset modeling choices, along with variable , simple drumbeats. Good stuff.

7. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil

This is a mystery to me too, however sounds like a 120 watts amp. The amp has plenty of power.

8. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I know close to nothing about electronics, power management, women, electricity or quantum physics. But the cube is loud...loud enough to overpower my previous very loud drummer.

9. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Yep, I agree on all points.
    Ran into the same problem, when I first got mine. Couldn't get a decent sound then spend some time with modeling, which was OK for home practice. Took it to practice, where I could crank up the volume...that's when the amp really started to shine. Sometimes, I would use the distortion and/or the chorus effects to freak out the guitar players but, for the most part, I just run the modeling section.