Roland Cube 100 - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CW Wright, Sep 16, 2005.

1. CW Wright

CW Wright

Sep 15, 2005
    What is your opinion on this bass amp? How has it worked for you?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't have one, but I've tried it a couple of times and I might get one soon. (I want a second G-K Neo112 cab first.) I tested one a couple of weeks ago against the new Fender Bassman 150 and Eden Silver Series 1x12 combo (forget the model) using U.S. P-basses.

I thought the Roland was far better than the others, although I'll confess I didn't do much EQ tweaking on any of them, so maybe I didn't get the most out of the Eden and Fender. But I thought the Roland had the most punch and depth -- and that's with the lowest power rating and smallest enclosure. Plus the effects are fun (if perhaps a little noisy on some settings), and some of the models sound cool. With my classic rock roots and P-bass, I was drawn to the "Classic 810" model, which indeed sounded like a mini-SVT rig. I don't know enough about the originals of the other models to comment.

In comparison, the Eden was too noisy IMO, and the Fender lacked both punch and depth. I was very underwhelmed by both, and I had expected to prefer the Fender. The basses didn't "come alive" as much as they did through the Roland. (A few days later, I tried the G-K MB150, which sounded better, but I think the Roland is in that ballpark. It's tough to judge without a direct A/B comparison though.)

I think the Roland would have just enough punch for low-mid volume electric band rehearsals (of course depending on acoustics, mix density, style, etc.), and maybe enough to be a stage monitor for club shows. (I'd beef it up with an Aphex Bass Xciter.) It certainly delivers a lot for a 1x12" 100 watt combo, and makes my Carvin PB100-10 seem like a toy. I was surprised at the huge sound coming out of the small box.

But I shouldn't have been -- I own a Cube 60 guitar amp, which is amazing for an inexpensive solid state amp, and is totally gig-worthy.
  3. I owned a Roland cube 30. Its with my brother now as he is learning the bass, or so he says...

Best damn practice amp I ever did hear. Loads of tone shaping options, the effects are pretty good and you can have lots of fun with the differnt amp models.

I still use it for recording to this day when I can steal it away from my bro.

I would imagine that the 100w version is even better, and should be loud enough for band practice (just about).
  4. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    I'm also interested in this amp, missing my old Cube 60 from the 80's.
    I'm trying to find an easily transportable combo for rehearsals and smaller clubs. The only problem is that my current rig is an EBS Fafner and 1 or 2 EBS 2x10 cabs, any combo would have to give me that Fafnerish tone. I've tried to track down an EBS Drome combo, but man are they expensive!