1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland Cube 30 / Fender Bassman 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Apr 8, 2004.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anyone used, owned, tried, both. I need a practice amp, and maybe something for home studio. I have narrowed it down to these two and was hoping for some experienced opinions. I have tried the Bassman and for a little amp the tone was great and it has lots of "usable options". The Bassman is also 8 ohm that can use a 4 ohm speaker out increasing the output. So is the "Cube better". They are in the same price range. I play a five string.

2. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    IF the bassman sounds anything like my little frontman 15b, that I put my jazz v string through, plus that extra power and ext. speaker socket, why look further!

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks to both reponses. Of course I have done searchs on both of these, and I am still at odds about which I want.......... and now....... two opinions, One for each!!! I don't have the option of trying the Cube any place local. Anyone played both??????

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played both. I bought the Roland Cube 30. The Fender is a great sounding amp, but it is nowhere near as versatile as the Roland. Both have a great low end, but the Roland has much clearer highs(coax tweeter), great sounding amp models, and nice effects(although I don't really use them). It is a wonderful sounding amp that is even powerful enough for small Jazz gigs. I bought it for that purpose.

5. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I haven't tried the Roland, but I L-O-V-E my Bassman 25. I highly recommend it as an in-home practice amp. I played it with a drummer the other night just for kicks, and I could hear myself, but the drummer couldn't hear me.

Then again I wonder if he ever listens to me anyways... ;)

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I am leaning towards the cube. Anyone else tried both and have a preference?

7. If you like the Roland Cube (which runs $295 at Zzounds), you should know that you can get a Roland DB500 refurbished unit for an extra $25 from Sam Ash... that's an extra 130 watts for $25 :) if you can live without a few of the effects.

See my recent post about db500 versis Ashdown; it has info on a Sam Ash guy who will give you free shipping on the Roland.

8. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    You can't run the Bassman 25 at 4 ohms - you can only plug in an 8 ohm "extension" cab, and in that case the 8-ohm internal speaker will me muted.

The Bassman 25 is a great little combo for what it is - low power, no tweeter. I haven't seen or played the Roland.

9. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I’ve not tried the Roland. The Bassman 25 is my choice for a practice amp. :bassist:

10. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    I've owned both, the Bassman 25 for about 7 months and I currently own the Roland Cube 30. Both are great amps with strong tone. The Bassman has one very good basic tone and the Roland has a number of very good settings. The Roland is louder. Roland gets the nod. It has the additional benefit of separtate pre and master controls and reverb, also making it a good guitar practice amp.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks again to all who took the time. I scored a "like new" Cube on ebay for $240 shipped. I didnt expect to get it. No one else bid. I have been hauling a monster back and forth to practice. It sounds like I will be real happy with the cube.