Roland Cube 30 / Fender Bassman 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Apr 8, 2004.

1. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Anyone used, owned, tried, both. I need a practice amp, and maybe something for home studio. I have narrowed it down to these two and was hoping for some experienced opinions. I have tried the Bassman and for a little amp the tone was great and it has lots of "usable options". The Bassman is also 8 ohm that can use a 4 ohm speaker out increasing the output. So is the "Cube better". They are in the same price range. I play a five string.
  2. jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    IF the bassman sounds anything like my little frontman 15b, that I put my jazz v string through, plus that extra power and ext. speaker socket, why look further!
  3. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Thanks to both reponses. Of course I have done searchs on both of these, and I am still at odds about which I want.......... and now....... two opinions, One for each!!! I don't have the option of trying the Cube any place local. Anyone played both??????

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played both. I bought the Roland Cube 30. The Fender is a great sounding amp, but it is nowhere near as versatile as the Roland. Both have a great low end, but the Roland has much clearer highs(coax tweeter), great sounding amp models, and nice effects(although I don't really use them). It is a wonderful sounding amp that is even powerful enough for small Jazz gigs. I bought it for that purpose.
  5. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    I haven't tried the Roland, but I L-O-V-E my Bassman 25. I highly recommend it as an in-home practice amp. I played it with a drummer the other night just for kicks, and I could hear myself, but the drummer couldn't hear me.

Then again I wonder if he ever listens to me anyways... ;)
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I am leaning towards the cube. Anyone else tried both and have a preference?
  7. If you like the Roland Cube (which runs $295 at Zzounds), you should know that you can get a Roland DB500 refurbished unit for an extra $25 from Sam Ash... that's an extra 130 watts for $25 :) if you can live without a few of the effects.

See my recent post about db500 versis Ashdown; it has info on a Sam Ash guy who will give you free shipping on the Roland.
  8. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    You can't run the Bassman 25 at 4 ohms - you can only plug in an 8 ohm "extension" cab, and in that case the 8-ohm internal speaker will me muted.

The Bassman 25 is a great little combo for what it is - low power, no tweeter. I haven't seen or played the Roland.
  9. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I’ve not tried the Roland. The Bassman 25 is my choice for a practice amp. :bassist:
  10. spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    I've owned both, the Bassman 25 for about 7 months and I currently own the Roland Cube 30. Both are great amps with strong tone. The Bassman has one very good basic tone and the Roland has a number of very good settings. The Roland is louder. Roland gets the nod. It has the additional benefit of separtate pre and master controls and reverb, also making it a good guitar practice amp.
  11. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Thanks again to all who took the time. I scored a "like new" Cube on ebay for $240 shipped. I didnt expect to get it. No one else bid. I have been hauling a monster back and forth to practice. It sounds like I will be real happy with the cube.