Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland Cube 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 12, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Is this combo amp on the market in the USA?

Comments?

[​IMG]

Could be an interesting small practicing and recording digital amp.

who tried?

[​IMG]

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, they are available in the US. I think they are great. Good sound, cool FX, and cheap! Can't beat that.

3. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I bought one a month ago and I like it alot. It has cool effects and is very versitile, but the thing that surprised me was how loud it can actually go without "fluttering" the speakers. This little thing could be used easily in a jazz or acoustic gig: it lays down those great lows (it'll even handle that low B very well) and the modeling of the amps it has are really close, if not dead-on with the originals.

The best and most innovative feature to me is the speaker enclosure itself. The combo is ALMOST a cube, making it a little more bulky than other amps it's size- but this *might* be the key to it's loud, BASSIER tone. It has the port and even a small 2" tweeter mounted in the middle of the 10"er- delivering great highs.

I live in a 3 bedroom apartment and I needed a little cool, quick, and easy amp to keep my chops up. With the added effects, it's hard to leave alone: you just wanna plug in and "make some 'lines". It's really cool to feel a quick creative insight then in less than 3 seconds be ready to hear it. In my apartment though, it may seem a little loud to those upstairs; I had tried to put it through some paces the day I got it and the WALLS rumbled in unison- I figured to stop it before I ticked-off the neighbors.

I REALLY like the design on construction of it. It seems impermiable to hard-hits and dings. With the pots mounted in the top-back and recessed, broken knobs will not happen on this thing. The speaker is well protected (unless you have a 3 year old running about) by a metal grate.

Recording was a really cool experiance. We had originally run it through the line out, but I wanted something more: we mic'ed it. I got a tone "On Loan from God"! Wonderful piece of equipment.

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Sam Ash has the Cube for $300, but they are nearly giving away the next model up: DB 500 that has 160W and a 12 inch speaker for $320. I just ordered one. I've seen it priced between $650 and $750 elsewhere.

5. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I was in the music store to get my guitar player a few gifts for his birthday (stands, straps, amongst other things) and I noticed this neat-looking combo amp atop a pile of them. I gave it a try with a few basses the store had to offer. At one point I said that there was NO WAY this POS bass sounds that good (I'm NOT going to mention the brand lest I offend). So I went back to my place and took MY bass up there to put this new upstart through some paces.

Needless to say for two weeks after that I was eating Ramen, drinking cheap (and sometimes indigestable) beer, and smoking cheapo ciggs until the next payday. I HAD to have it. I haven't felt that way about a product since I discovered G&L....

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    My Roland rep called me a few months ago and wanted me to try this amp. I told him I wasn't interested mostly because I thought it would suck. He sent me one and said if I didn't like it I could send it back. Now, I've never played it outside of the store so I don't know how it would sound in a group context, but the thing sounds very good with real nice effects. I'm quite impressed and have since sold several. If I had a personal need for a small amp I would own a Cube 30.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried one of these out in a local music store called Good Guys Music (great name). What impressed me is that it had great sound quality for it's size and wattage. all of the onboard effects sounded really good as well. For my personal applications, it would be a "fun" practice amp, but it would not be loud enough for my gigs. It could very well do the job for other people's softer lounge gigs though.

Thumbs up for a practice amp! if you want to gig with it, try to make sure that it will be able to do the job if at all possible before buying one.

8. Yeah, I was extremely impressed at the quality of the sound, considering I cranked it up to near full volume and it still produced beautiful tone...I tried it out in a music shop with a MIA P-Bass....the bass was sweet, but the amp was great!!! :D

9. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Strange that you like the cube 30 on the forum because the roland DB-series don't get good comments!

10. I bought a DB-500 about 6 months ago for $320 at Sam Ash. I love it!!! The Cube has more effects but for $20 more I took the extra 130 watts. If you can find one check out the DB before you buy.

11. I think this looks like a great amp, also...does it have an extension speaker out?

12. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    No, it does not have speaker outs on it. It does have an "AUX/RECORDING" out on it- guess you couls hook up an extra combo to it.

13. As BassDodger said there's no extention speaker out... my only comlpaint really. I have toyed with the idea of using the line out to another amp.Anybody have any thoughts on doing this?
    I have an old Sunn beta bass combo I was thinking of experimenting with.

14. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking of getting one for smaller jobs/gigs. I'm tired of bringing around my 4x10.......
    I have, however, tried the guitar-version of this roland, and I think it's outstanding!! You can get awesome sound. My friend sounded just like lukhater, for the cost of 300 dollars, as he does on elmwood, for 3000 :D

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it gets more and more interesting.

us price?