1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland Cube 60 Bass vintage repair situation

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by pRi3Mo, Oct 11, 2018.

1. pRi3Mo

pRi3Mo

Apr 1, 2017
    Yokohama
    I recently aquired that lovely vintage bass amp made in Japan back in the eighties.
    I had to find out that on the low end the speaker is buzzing strong.
    My question is: Is it the cabin or is something wrong with the electronics?
    To all the amp geeks out there. Has anyone an idea how to solve the issue or at least how to start identifying what's wrong.. I'd really like to repair it myself.
    Feedback is highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It's probably the speaker. The amp is junk though. I used one for way too long. It's maybe OK for a practice room, but get something better to gig on.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  3. I also think it might be coming from the speaker, but not necessarily from a damaged one (even though after all that years it might be a material fault).
    Unscrew the front grille and look out for something that doesn't belong there. There might be a part fallen through the grille that has contact to the membrane and resonates with it.
    If not unscrew the driver and have a look behind in the box. Test the amp with the driver outside of the box. If it does not buzz, something had contact with the membrane when mounted. Might have been a cable or something else, so when you remou t the driver keep an eye where the cable goes and push them away.
    If you have another driver (size unimportant, but impedance not lower than the original speaker) and at least basic soldering skills, solder the new driver to the amp instead of the old one and try. If it still buzzes, it's likely the amp. If not it's the driver.

4. pRi3Mo

pRi3Mo

Apr 1, 2017
    Yokohama
    Thanks for the advice.

5. fasternak

fasternak

May 31, 2013

I’m way late getting to this thread. Nevertheless, I’d like to say that I love my old orange Roland Cube 60 Bass amp. It’s more transparent than either my GK 200 MB or my AI Clarus SL/ EA Wizzy 12. Hope you fixed yours and kept it.

6. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Wait a second. Do you mean a Cube 60 is the answer to "Like my bass, only louder"?

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I played through one on a gig and quickly got a great sound. I don’t doubt that somebody with a fast nak (whatever that is) likes the amp.

8. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    I had used my old one in the '80's and early '90's to the point of needing to replace the speaker...put in an EV Force 12 (had to cut down the cabinet duct a bit) and it sounded great...until I overdrove the amp for an entire gig (no room in the PA). Find the right speaker and you'll love it.