Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roland cube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by purple hands, Oct 11, 2005.

1. purple hands

purple hands

Sep 26, 2005
    hey all i've just seen an ad for a 30watt roland bass cube amp,second hand,used only once and im very interested in buying.anyone have any past experiences (good or bad) of the cube amps?

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My guitarist likes the guitar version quite a bit so maybe they got the bass ones right. I could use a good practice amp...

3. I've had a 60w 12" bass cube for about 15yrs as a practice amp, the only amp I've been able to be happy with that long ! lol

Truly awesome practice amp.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Roland Cubes are excellent. I have the Cube 60 for guitar, and recently bought the Cube 100 for bass. I'm amazed at how huge they sound for their sizes and wattage ratings, and they seem rock solid. The Cube 100 cuts it for rock band rehearsals, no problem, and has many great tones on tap. I therefore think the Cube 30 would be a fantastic practice amp.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I played with the cube 30 in the store the other day and it was kinda cool, considering it has compressiong, chorus, flanger, wah, delay, reverb, 7 amp models. all for about $225 at zzounds.com I played with it for a while and liked the octave bass amp with the flanger on half. sounded like a strong 30w and not as boxy as the new ampeg pbc228. I looking into the more powerfull cubes...

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I tried one in a local store using my own P bass last month when I was shopping for a small combo for use at home as an extra amp for teaching. It sounded pretty good and would do the job fine.

I didn't care much for the effects. They weren't very authentic sounding and I found I could get comparable results with EQ changes. The compressor destroyed the dynamics too much for me and I never use one anyhow. It cost $379 Canadian. Then I ABd it with the Yorkville XM50C combo which was selling for $339 Canadian. I bought the Yorkville. It had a much bigger sound, could play louder without breaking up and had all the features i needed for at home use. Plus it has a great warranty and it's made right here in Ontario.

I've been using it every day since and I'm very pleased with it.

If you get a very good deal on the Roland it may be worth buying. I tried the Cube 100 also and it was very nice. But you're paying extra for the effects with the Cube's. Nothing wrong with the Cube 30-I just liked the Yorkville much more.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I actually like the compressor in my Cube 100, but I wish the control were more progressive, because lots of squash gets dialed in at low settings. Just a touch is all I need.

I'm with you on the effects -- they are the weak link in an otherwise outstanding amp. I'd prefer a built in tuner or footswitchable high gain channel to the somewhat harsh sounding effects. They're fun for experimenting, but that's about it.

8. poogaboy

poogaboy

Oct 16, 2005
    my cube 30 doesnt put out good sound

9. Irminsul

Irminsul

Oct 17, 2005
    My Cube 30 hisses quite a lot. It can be annoying, especially when your ears are in line with the speaker. I only practice with the volume on 2 or 3, and the hissing gets louder as you turn the volume up.

It's 13 kilo's, as stated on the Roland site. Still a task to get home without a car, as the box is awkward.

It sounds good though, handles the low B very well and it's very punchy. Nice tone. Nice amp models.

The reverb and delay are crap, even on higher volumes. The Chorus and Flanger are nice.

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Just got one used, I picked it up from the shipping dept here at work and will be taking it home... hah! in a few minutes. I'll let y'all know my initial impressions, I should be getting together with my guitarist tonight.

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Picked it up yesterday, took it to practice with a guitar buddy last night and it worked great!

Very fun little amp: cheesy fx are a blast, the amp modelers aren't bad at all (liked the Bassman best), seems pretty efficient for 30W, solid frequency response, and sounded pretty good with everything set flat.