Roland DB-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dags, May 5, 2004.

1. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    This looks like a very interesting combo amp. I was going to get the Ampeg B-100R but this Roland is a similar price and there are tons of features. I'm currently using a 30 watt Behringer BX300 combo and I don't really like it and I think I've outgrown it as well. My funds are limited so I'm basically looking for something in the price range of the Roland or the Ampeg. I'm also interested in the tube overdrive emulation mode on the Roland and the built in compression and chorus effects. I'm sure they are nothing spectacular seeing as this is a $400 combo amp but I just sit around messing around on the bass anyway so it's not like I'm recording. I'm going to get rid of my MXR M-80 because the distortion just isn't what I'm lookiing for so maybe the overdrive on the amp is nice. If not, no big deal I'll pick up a new pedal. I also like the settings memory storage on the Roland and the footswitch option. basically it's looking like a really nice package for a really nice price and this is what is putting doubts in my head about the quality. I've read plenty of good reviews and a few bad ones but I just feel the need to get more opinions on this seeing as all my local stores don't carry this model. So, let's hear it.
  2. I just got one. It rocks.
    Chorus effect is very well conceived; you can get alot of different sounds out of it.
    the compressor is a one-switch baby (no different controls for attack, etc). It's a bit hissy at higher settings if that bothers you. It doesn't bother me. the amp itself is not hissy, just the compressor.
    the COSM features are actually extremely nice. they really DO sound like three totally different amps. the 'shape' switch makes your amp sound like a 15 or 12". i can't say for sure how accurate it is but it certainly sounds different
    Truly, what with the 3 models, compression/not, chorus/not, shape/not, you can get many extremely different sounds out of it. And that's BEFORE you start playing with the eq and gain.

only 2 memory settings though, not much to do about that. you'll need to buy a stero 2 switch footpedal for the memory and a single for the chorus if you want them.
  3. I'd love to hear your thoughts as well please.

4. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I love my DB 500. I play small venues with it and it does the job. It is easily the best combo that I have owned.
  5. This combo is amazing and obviously pretty darn underrated.
    I am surprised that Roland didn't push this item harder.
    A very competetive combo with a lot of tonal options.
    IMO the DB500 with the 12" woofer & horn sounds a lot better than the db700 with the 15" woofer.

Very compact, can be loud and handles my low B with ease.
    I am selling mine, so if someone is interested shoot me an email. Yeah, Erik, still haven't figured out how to place decent pics on TB :D

Some might ask "why selling if it's such a great combo"?

I am getting rid of all my gear except my heads. Coming out with my own bass cab line within the next weeks.
  6. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to pick this one up.
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I bought one a few months ago from Sam Ash. I use it as a practice amp but it's surprisingly loud. IMHO it'd work fine for a small to medium-sized gig. I like it's sound, it's got a lot of tones available. 2 thumbs up! :D