Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland DB 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeflepard, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I bought this amp for practice and small gigs and I have to say this little amp kicks ass!!! I just ordered another one so I can run them in stereo . I have played thru many rigs- SWR, Ashdown, Aguilar, GK, etc and my band always comments on how good the Roland sounds. I will update you when I run the amps together.

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My college has a roland endorsement so I've had to play on those amps and their bigger brother on a number of occasions. I can't say that myself or anyone I talked to at the school loved the amp but it definately seemed solid. I'm gladyou like yours. The chorus on the amp is actually pretty good. Just don't let it clip for too long. We blew 3 DB500's this past year. (I wasn't responsible for any of them)

3. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Agreed, I've played the DB700 many times. It always knocked me out. Great little amps. I do suppose that its digital settings stuff take some getting used to in order to make it sound right. The FFP stuff is nothing to joke about though, these amps respond like a dream and have power to back them up.

4. Joseph12

Joseph12

Jul 5, 2002
    jeflepard wrote:

<< I bought this amp for practice and small gigs and I have to say this little amp kicks ass!!! I just ordered another one so I can run them in stereo . I have played thru many rigs- SWR, Ashdown, Aguilar, GK, etc and my band always comments on how good the Roland sounds. I will update you when I run the amps together.>>

I acquired one of the Roland DB-500's last month from Sam Ash, and may also want another, who has them now?, SamAsh is now sold out, I think.

5. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas
    SORRY TO JUMP IN AS I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT POST BUT I HAVE ONE I BOUGHT TWO MONTHS AGO FROM SAM ASH AND WHILE I WAS VERY IMPRESSED,I HAVE DECIDED TO SELL IT AS I NOW AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TOY.I HAVE NEVER USED IT OUT AND IT STILL HAS THE HANG TAGS ON IT....IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED,PM ME.
    THANKS.

6. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I bought one from Sam Ash when they were closing them out earlier this year. I originally wanted it for practice at home but it really turned out to be a performer! I rarely lug around my eden + 410 rig anymore. Its great for small venues. I only wish Sam Ash still had the 15" version to accommodate my low B a little better.

7. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I got my second DB 500 today. I ran them stereo thru my Fulltone Choralflange and they really sound nice. I can't wait to use them on the gig this weekend. They were much louder than I expected. This is really a good sounding rig for the money. I can give my GK 1001 and Bergantino Ht 322 a break on some of the gigs.

8. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas

9. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I played two gigs this weekend with the Roland DB 500's. They did the job but I have to say I missed the headroom from my big rig. It is always best to review a bass rig after a real gig . The amps sounded good but it didn't cut thru like my regular rig. I still think these amps are good for the money. The problem we all have with gear is that we only get to demo it in a music store or if ordered in our room. When playing a gig there are so many things to consider. Each room sounds different and you have to consider the volume of the drums and guitar. I guess this is the real challenge. What will work best with your band? I have tried so many amps, cabs, and basses but I am still searching for the ultimate tone. I think we can all relate to this.

10. Joseph12

Joseph12

Jul 5, 2002
    definitely can relate jeflepard. You can't know what you've got until you really turn it up to see how it does w/drums & guitars.

I gave the Roland a workout for the first time this past Saturday. Prior to this I tried it at Sam Ash & used it as a practice amp at home for a few weeks. But I didn't know what I really had until I got together w/guitars & drums and really turned it up.

The amp kicks, but took me a bit of time to get my sound.
    It has less bottom than the 15" combo (duh) that I've been using, but I can definitely work with it, and you can also dial in adequate bottom end if you aim to, again, it just took me a bit of time.
    I think it has a clean, hifi sound; perhaps a bit less warmth than I wanted, very articulate, I could hear every note, keeps me aware of what I'm playing at all times. This might be a good thing, probably better after I live with the thing for a bit.
    There are lots of different tones, the amp is deceptively simple, but you can really vary the sound a lot with the EQ & the COSM.
    The roland has a usable chorus & compressor built in, just a touch of both I liked quite a bit.

The combination of good price, features, relatively light weight make it a great deal for a new amp IMHO.
    Other amps I considered, a Hartke KB (but not seriously), the SWR WM12 (more $), Yorkville (priced about the same but lower wattage, fewer features).

It's a great deal at it's close-out price, IMHO. But I would not have bought it at the original price though, Musicians Friend is still selling this @ $750!, at that price, no way.