Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland DB-700 D-Bass Amplifier Info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Mar 27, 2002.

1. I'm testing a Roland DB-700 for my church and I'm trying to find additional information on it.

Other amps I've tested are a couple of Hartke combos and a Peavey combo... but this is a completely different animal. It's a bit of a modeling amp with TONS of power, but I'm having trouble getting the sound I want.

Anybody have any experience with this combo???

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I tried it with big intentions to buy it before.

Only thing I can say is that it produces a very high "processed sound". It`s fully digital so that explains why. It is far from the Ampeg tube amps !

I spoke to a very good soundman and he told me those amps do not cut through on stage, even if they are very powerful. He can`t explain why but it`s probably due to the digital modeling capability of the amp, IMHO.

They are very powerful for their size and very convenient to carry them around. They were very expensive here in Canada ( approx. 1400$ Canadian funds)

I found the Peavey Combo 115 produced a much more natural sound and had tons of power also. You can not beat Peavey for the price, quality and reliability.

3. muchsoul2u

muchsoul2u

Jan 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have one and it is a bit different, especially the EQ. First make sure it is on the "manual" setting, if the pre-sets are on you won't be in control. I play jazz, traditional and comtemporary and some R&B/funk, and do some gigs when I'm not going through the PA.

I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 and an Alembic Epic 5. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my tone and how much more clear I was sounding than before, and that was from other musicians. I switched from an Eden 210 XLT with Carvin R1000 head. I also let some other bass players sit in with my band so I could hear how my set up sounded and I was very happy. It cut through just fine with pleny of volume to spare. To me, its excellent for a combo and for the types gigs I'm doing.

4. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Last time I checked (in person) Mars were blowing them out at 699.99.
    Having owned an old, but VERY clean BN-100 I was/am a Roland "fan".

I wanted to like it but came away undecided.
    I'd like to look at one again.
    I think I liked the tube drive setting in general.
    It is interesting & they must have moved some units I'm guessing. I think they eventually offered an even bigger combo...the 900; right?

To sum up, at that price *IF* I could find the sound/s I needed, damn the naysayers!

Good Luck.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    What makes me most wonder is the weight of the DB-700 : 84 lbs. Seems quite heavy for a modeling amp, IMHO.

All the best,

6. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The DB-700's tone controls are very limited.
    It's heavy and underpowered.
    Its out-of-date modeling technology is prehistoric by current standards.
    If you're into the modeling thing, the Peavey BAM is light years beyond the DB-700.
    There are many comparably-priced combos that provide more features and better performance.
    Try some other amps before you buy the Roland.
    Roland's DB-series amps sound OK, but they can't compete with the more serious bass amp manufacturers.

7. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I bought a DB700 on ebay for $600 including shipping. It came in a ripped open box with all of the packing peanuts falling out. I was dissapointed, but what can you do. I've been practicing with it and played one gig with a 5 piece blues band, un-mic'd drummer and medium sized PA. The Club held about 80 people on our side and was pretty loud and smokey. Our volume was loud enough to project to the back wall, but not too loud for conversation near the middle of the room. The DB700 was almost loud enough with out PA assistance. I was in the audience when our guitar player played bass on a few songs and it was fine if the band was really locked in, but a little too soft when things got a little messy. Everytime I plug in at practice, I'm dissapointed with the sound at first and then seem to get it dialed in after an hour or so. I think the speaker might be blown, but our guitarist thinks it is okay. I guess over all i'm not blown away. Its Okay and probably worth what I paid for it. I'm considering replacing the speaker with an Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF. I'll let you know how that goes.

Gregg

8. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Okay, everytime I turn it on I am disapointed with the tone. It just sounds bad and it doesn't cut through. I got a Sansamp bassdriver DI and set all of the amp controls flat and it still sounds like crap. Then it just died on me!!!!!!! Hurray, I'm actually happy. I've been trying to sell it for 2 months and haven't gotten a single bite.

9. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Owned a DB700 for about two years, it was totally reliable even though it lived in the back of the car between gigs and all year round! It's difficult to say what was lacking but I personally found it inconsistant, it ranged from being loud and great, not bad or just not happening! I ended up using an Aphex "Big bottom/aural exciter" pedal to try and extract that bit more out of it. Changed recentley for a GK 700RB115 combo, I now have penty of headroom , a superb bass sound and the ability to add that extra cab and bi-amped!