Roland DB-900 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thornton Davis, May 16, 2002.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I've been thinking recently of down sizing my rig and buying a combo. One of the amps that i'm considering is the Roland DB-900 amp.
    This is the puppy that Roland introduced at the summer NAMM 2001 show. It's a 320 watt combo with 4 x 10" and 2 x 12" passive radiators built into one cabinet.
    I've read the previous postings about the smaller DB-500 and 700 units. There are some interesting comments there.
    What I would like to know is, has anyone had the chance or opportunity to check the DB-900 out?
    Comments welcome. Let me know what you thought of it.
  2. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    For anyone interested in seeing what this very unique combo looks like, clink on the link and you can see one.
    By the way, this thing weights 141 lbs! Thank god, it comes with factory installed casters and heavy duty moulded recessed handles.

Let me know if you've checked one of these out and what you thought of it.

3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Looks like the sort of amp that would be great to use with the Bass POD some thing that could sound like lots of other cabs.
    I've only ever tried the roland db500 but to me that was a great amp bit lacking on features but all those seem to have been delt with in the db700 so the 900 should be pretty damn good but it depends on what your rig is at the moment.
  4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think I'd get a 141 pound amp if it didn't come with roadies!:eek:
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hmmmm.....downsizing to a 141 pound rig.....ouch:D
  6. I haven't tried the 900... but I have tried the 500. I'd pass unless I was absolutely sold on its tone... the 500 sounded like a modeling amp... even though it wasn't. The weight should be another factor... I can carry my head, cab, and bass all in one trip.

On the other hand... if the 900 makes that killer tone for you... go for it. Look at all the guys that tote around an SVT!
  7. Hi:
    looks interesting, but 141 lbs is not easy to move around. Regardless of casters. You can't caster this thing up stairs.
    Also what w/ Feed forwarding processing. The ad claims its can sense incoming signals. So it knows what your playing? and what the next note is? how much your digging in? etc.
    Lastly, it has 2-12" passive radiators, since these are passive what do they do?
    I would definately try this bad boy out first and see if its what your looking for. The Amp modeling looks the most interesting and useful
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd say if you just wanted the modeling get a V-Bass, a Bam, or a POD. If it is for the cabs get a 2x12 and a 4x10. Much lighter.
  9. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    one hundred forty one pounds.....
  10. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Let me give you guys who don't know me some info. I'm in my late fortys, and have been playing bass for the past 35 plus years. I've owned more amps and basses during that time than most people can imagine. Many of which I still own.

The only reason i'm considering moving to a smaller amp is because i'm tired of lugging around two 4x10 cabinets and a 440 watt tube head. These weigh in at just under 300 lbs. So 141 pounds on casters is a piece of cake to me.

No, i'm not interested in the modeling capabilities of the Roland. And no, i'm not interested in the chorus unit either. What I am interested in is the power section of the amp combined with the unique speaker combination in one cabinet.

This is the first combo amp that i've ever seen with two 12" passive radiators combined with 4 x 10" speakers and a horn tweeter.

What i'm interested in knowing, is how does this amp handle the frequency response at high volumes of a 5 string bass. Do the passive radiators hold together or do they distort? Does the amp project well? Is 320 watts of solid state power loud enough to keep up in a 5 piece band or does this amp need to be 500 watts? Is this a well built unit, or does it appear to be lacking quality?

I don't it expect it to replace my 440 watt tube head. But considering the price of this amp, I expect it to come damm close! And if it can then that's a big bonus.

As I understand it, its only been recently that Roland started to deliver the DB-900. So here's the bottom line, if you've had the opportunity to check one out, I would like to hear what you thought of it.
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Your probably not interested in it, but Mesa makes a 4x10+1x15 in one cab.

I don't think that 320 watts would be anywhere near loud enough, but maybe your situation is different than mine.
  12. I think you need to appreciate that at the top end of the scale with amps coming out with 1500 watts makes everything else look pretty weak - but. It all depends on speaker efficiency, speaker design AND of course just throwing watts at the problem does not get you there on a straight line graph. Double the wattage does not give you double the percieved and real sound level, just a few more decibels. Efficiency and design is the way to be going and maybe (I haven't heard the Roland yet - but considering it) Roland have a design edge. A few years ago I heard a hi-fi speaker rated at 15 watts that was bastard loud because it had a huge folder horn within the cabinet. This was a fairly small speaker about 1ft x2ft x 3ft high. Trouble for us guys is that to get that sort of power to sound ratio we would be talking of a speaker like they used in cinemas - made from 8x4 sheets of 1" ply - and you don't even have to cut them because the speakers are so huge!! We've pretty much moved from stacks of 4x4x12 cabinets that I experineced in the late sixties to 4x10 and a 15 (You'd have been laughed off-stage then) - what's next? Maybe the Roland ideas will seem old hat in another 10 years? Maybe 4x4x12"s is where to go back to?:confused:
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think with a head that could throw some wattage at it (320 watts for that many speakers seems like not enough) that cab could be a seriously cool idea. but i don't like the idea as a combo.
  14. Looks like Roland have been moving towrds some of the Fender Acoustic Guitar amps. With a surround sound effect due to some of the design sending out the sound sideways and some stereo technology to 'spead' the sound (like your Sony TV 'space sound'). I guess this is something we may see in Bass Speakers sometime - a sort of Lesley Organ speaker cab / revolving speaker effect - but using the Fender non-moving method. Bass seems pretty non-directional anyway in a live situation and I know my drummer would thank me for some rear facing volume. Roland seem to moving that way with this new model.
  15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

I had the chance to try the DB-700 which is a single 15".

It has a "processed sound", something I did not like too much. It's a digital amp.

I also tried the DB-900 and also heard it played by Alain Caron here in Halifax.

What a difference !!!!

The DB-900 is definitely a good choice. It has a great combination of speakers and it cuts through really well. Of course, Alain tried it with a V-Amp, but he also demonstrated the Amp with flat EQ and no V-Amp. Great tone !!! He tried it with a 6 string no problem !!!
    They are heavy yes but moveable.

Definitely worth a try, Bassman. Those Amps are very very powerful too.

Bonjour !