Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ROLAND DB500, a good combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hervetlse, Feb 5, 2002.

1. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hello guys. I'm about to buy a roland db500. Tell me what you think of this choice please.:)

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think it's real nice. I always play on a DB700 when I go to GC.

3. I played one at Mars once, wasn't impressed with the sound. Or the price. I think you can do better for the same money with something else.

my 2 coppers....

4. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Mark, what do you think is the best combo or rig?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    me either. never heard a roland amp that was to my liking.

whats a better combo for the price? check out SWR, Eden, Ampeg, etc...there's lots better IMO.

jason

6. That depends on what you like. I forget how much the Roland lists for, but here are my favorites...

Small Combo - SWR Workingman's 12- great, crisp tone, modern sounding, about $ 600-700 new, I think. Or Eden TimeTraveler combo

Medium and Large Combos - Eden CXC-210C4, Eden Metro, SWR Silverado. I like the Eden CXC best, as it's the lightest, has a handle and wheels, the coaxial tweeter, and I got it for $975 USD tax included. The others are great too, they just cost a little more and weigh a bit more. If I wasn't so interested in mobility and ease, I think I'd go with an Eden head with a 2x10 cab, the XLT.

But it's perfectly fine if you dig the Roland, I just think it sounded like butt.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know where a clean used one is for $425;). Email me if you're interested.

I haven't been impressed with the DB500, played them several times in stores. I know people who do like them though.

8. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Hey Brad, can you tell me more of this db500. I live in France is it a problem to order? Mark i suppose that the sounds you need is clean, bright sounds as you play in a church. Me, i like warm, saturated sounds with plenty of power to play rock and roll. I've tried the ebs drome but it sounds like the baby blue swr i had before, clean to clean for me. the only one i've tried that seem to have warm sounds and even good for slapping is the eden nemesis 210 and the roland db500. I understand that you don't like his sounds, but don't you agree that it is a light combo with a lot of volume?

9. I'd way prefer the Nemesis over the Roland. The Nemesis' "nemesis" is that I've heard they're not really that durable, so I'd go with an Eden.

Actually, I need a variety of sounds, even though I play in church. See, we're basically a cover band, and quite ROCK on ocassion. We've covered everything from Black Crowes, Barenaked Ladies, U2, Sister Hazel, Incubus, you name it. I like clean because I can always add dirt with a stomp box if I need it. But with a muddy amp, I can never get clean to begin with if I need that.

10. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Mark, there's something i don't understand. On your profile, on you previously owned gear you mentioned a sans amp bass driver di. I've seen that many bassists have the sans amp and most of them are happy with it. You didn't like it? Somebody told that he was a fan of sans amp and he preferred the roland's "dirt" to it. It seems to be a question of hear preferences, don't you think so?

11. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Who have played or owned a ROLAND db500? Tell me the pros the cons please. Thank you all.:) ;) :cool:

12. Yes, it's all preferences, and subjective. I would have liked the SABDDI much better if it had a mid control. It seemed to eat all my mids. And I'm understand but am not "cool" with lowering bass and treble to increase the prescence of mids.

I also don't need it anymore because I have a good DI on my amp, and needed to sell it (among other things) to pay for this new amp.

13. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    i understand what you say about the sans amp bddi, many others noticed that thing about the lack of mids. One of them say that it's better to buy the stomp box sans amp TRI-AC but in your case if you need to have a direct input to the pa and if your new rig works what else can we say? good fun with it. Me i'm seriously about to buy the roland db500, it will replace the sans amp and have controls on the mids and even compression on the tweeter wich is a fostex. I'll tell you my feelings when i 'll receive it. If somebody can tell more about the roland db500, welcome!!!:) ;) ;)