Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland DB500 or Ampeg Portabass PBC2112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Dec 24, 2003.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    ok, for those of you who may have tried both of these, which one would you get? I am leaning towards the Portabass, but I would like your opinions.:confused:

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I tried a Roland DB-750, the big brother of the 500. It was good sounding and fairly powerful, but not too portable. The digital modeling stuff was useless, IMO. I saw a DB-500 on eBay today for something like $350 brand new in the box. I have tried the PortaBass head with the PortaBass 210 and 112 and thought it was way underpowered. I had to get the volume set to 4:00 to get a fairly decent sound. It only goes to 6:00, so there wasn't much room left. My GK 700rb smoked the PortaBass head. Mine is the older version. No telling what the new 700rb-II would sound like. The cabs I tried sounded very good up to small club or miked acoustic guitar levels. They won't cut it in a rock band. The 212 might just make it, but as I said, I haven't tried that particular one.

3. well, the Portabass amps and cabs sound great, but they aren't a very practical setup - the cabs are only around 93 Db efficiency...pretty low. I was going to go with a portabass setup, but after recieving two defective PBC2112 combos, I gave up...I don't have any faith in Ampeg's quality control now... What I ended up with was the new GK 400RB/210 (the one with the new mark 4 head), and I love it...loud, portable, and a great fat sound w/ the boost control all the way up. I was always an Ampeg guy before trying the GK...now I'm converted :) Another thing to remember w/ the PB setups is they cannot have an extension cab added to the internal speaker...the internal speaker config is already at the lowest possible impedance.

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey woof, what exactly was wrong with the PBC2112's you had shipped to you? I'm leaning towards the portabass for exactly the reason that they are "portable" basically will be used as a practice amp only and maybe a small venue if the oportunity presents itself, I Just had the chance to try out the DB500 and I found it very hard to dial in a decent tone. I was using a Spector Euro 5, I can't quite explain it but the tone I get out of it just isn't for me. I am hoping the tone of the Portabass will suit me. :meh:

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If price is an issue...my local Sam Ash was selling brand new DB-500s for $320 last week.

6. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks, My sam ash had the same deal. Musician's Friend has the Portabass on sale right now for $599.00. which I guess is close to 50-75% off from their retail price. almost twice that of the DB500 though, but I guess I'm just not happy with the tone of the DB500, so I guess the savings isn't that much of an issue if you don't like the tone.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Absolutely true!!! Spending more now for the sound you like will most likely save you money in the long run.

I'm curious though...if you don't really like the DB-500, why ask about it?

8. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I did not get a chance to really try one out until after I started the thread. I still have not had a chance to try out the Portabass either for that matter, but if I don't like it I can return it.

9. hey - I got my PBC2112s from MF also....that deal is KILLER! Unfortunately, both of mine came in w/ a highly audible cabinet rattle...I sent the first one back only to have the second come in w/ the same prob. I dunno...prolly just got two duds cause the construction was great on both. Just unfortunate - I just got word from SLM that my SVT4-PRO is ready to be picked up after blowing one of the power amps. After all this stuff happening, I just really don't trust Ampeg anymore... BTW - the 2112 is REALLY easy to move around w/ that handle, and is very light!

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the reply, I'll be on the lookout for the cabintet rattle. I sure hope the problems you have experienced with Ampeg gear is a fluke though.:rolleyes:

11. me too...I hate to think that a great bass equipment maker like ampeg has went the way of $$ instead of quality equipment...and like I said - the construction on the combos I recieved was great...I prolly just got duds. The Ampeg sound is great - you could try it out, and send it back within 45 days @ MF...

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're having problems with Ampeg gear, make sure you keep Ampeg Insider in the loop. He seems very interested in our feedback and in trying to help.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The rattle that you described is more than likely some loose screws on the back plate, tightening them up usually fixes the problem.

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I checked into the cabinet buzz/rattle issue.

Service has had very few PortaBass units in for repair, and only a couple combos. No cabinet rattles have come in as far as we know.

We have had a little group of speakers which have developed apparent voice coil "rubs". Without more info I would suspect that might be what you had. It can sound like a cabinet problem.

The speakers are the neo magnet type, and the construction is a little more prone to develop a rub if certain manufacturing defects occur. Most get found in final test, but some won't cause a problem until later.

We are sorry you had two in a row. That is a pain for you and looks bad for us.

Unfortunately, problems often occur in clusters, because part problems rarely occur just once. Usually a number are bad in the same way from the same cause. Not what we would like, but reality is that it does happen.

New info: There have also apparently been a few speaker with "tinsel lead" problems where the lead from the frame to the cone loosened up and started hitting the cone. That would sound very much like a cabinet rattle, and is even more likely to be what you had.