1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland DB500 setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoHo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JoHo

JoHo

Sep 10, 2008
    Hi guys - I got this Roland DB500 bass amplifier at home, but I cant seem to find the right tone(s)..

What ever setup I use it just sound like, boring ...
    Anyone got some setups that they can share with me ?

I kinda need a clean setup and a slap setup ..
    And if anyone got a good setup for metal music that would be awesome ...

I hope you understand my question, thank you.

:bassist: rock on!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best way to get familiar with an amp is to set it totally flat, then go through each knob and switch one by one. Turn them slowly all the way up and all the way down (except for the volume...keep it at a medium low volume while you do this because extreme settings can blow speakers if too loud). Set it back to flat and go onto the next one. Repeat until out of knobs and switches. But really listen to what happens when you turn the knobs and get yourself accustomed to the changes in tone. Then once you're good with it, start experimenting. I like flat settings myself because they work best with a band, but just have fun with it and see what you can come up with. That's a good amp...it should give you plenty of tone.

3. JoHo

JoHo

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks Jimmy, that was very educational, I learned alot from that .. I've tried it, but I still seem cant to find a perfectly clean tone or a slap tone .. its annoying .. but thank you anyway.

4. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i have the db-500 and love it!!

i say you should play with the mid freq knob. ThereĀ“s were the game is... turn bass and treble down to 0 and mids to 11, :D, then play while twisting the mid frequency knob looking for sweet spots, when you have one, just dial in as much bass and treble as you desire... and turn mids back to a decent position.
    Also the amp simulator changes a bit the tone, i like the one in the midle (tube but not distortin unless signall is really hot)... and the 15" simulator switch changes the tone two... oh! and STAY AWAY FORM THE D-CHORUS!!! i still can believe they but that there... why not a simple reverb...

one of my favourite settings is bass at 12, mids at 2, mid freq at 10-11 and treble at 10... without the 15" simulator and with the amp simulator in the middle one.. and gain at 2 or 3 to keep things interesting... i play a jazz bass, and im not a metal player, so i dont know if this can help you...

anyway, imho its a great amp... might not be the weakest link in the chain ;)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try cutting the mids slightly and boosting the treble slightly for a modern slap tone. As for clean tones, you should be able to find a ton of them. But for me, what works best is keeping everything as close to flat as possible. Too much boosting results in a overexcited and false-sounding tone. It's always better to cut what you don't like than add too much of what you do like. Then bring the volume up if it needs more oomph.

And don't get too hung up on it. Chances are you've already gotten a couple tones that everyone else would consider good. Sometimes the best tones in a band sound kind of dull by themselves.

6. JoHo

JoHo

Sep 10, 2008
    I am thinking about buying a jazzbass as well - right now I got a Warwick 5 string Rockbass ( I dont know how good that one is ) but I am gonna buy a jazzbass for recording and such ... I wonder if it could pay off buying it in germany ( I live in Denmark ) cause I am going to Berlin soon .. and instruments are quite expensive back here if you ask me ..

But thanks for the help anyway.. :smug:

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have the older DB700, so I don't know if the features are the same, but mine came with some preset mods and one of them was a slap tone. Check your manual ( if you have one).

8. I've got a DB-500 too and have a bit of a trouble finding the right tone at times. Heavyfunkinmachin is right about looking for the sweet spot on the mid frequency knob, my main problem is remembering where it is. Getting a slap sound is easy, I find getting a full warm sound harder. When you find your sounds make sure you use the memory to store your two prefered sounds. All in all it is a great amp for combo of it's size.