1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland E-09 and Digitech Whammy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Travisx2112, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Hello all!

I have a Digitech Whammy that I'd like to be able to hook up to my keyboard (A Roland E-09) so that I can hit a key on it to change the mode on the pedal, instead of using the knob on the pedal, which is a pain.

I don't know how to set it up though. All I know so far is that both devices have to talk to each other, and in order for them to do that, they need to be on the same channel. I've looked in the manuals for the E-09 but none of it makes any sense to me. The Digitech one sort of does, though. I'd like a set by step guide on how to set this up.. I have two MIDI cables also.

Digitech Whammy manual
    Roland E-09 Manual
    Roland E-09 MIDI Implementation This last one really confuses me, and I wonder if I need it?

Thank you for the help!

2. I wonder if I'd need to hook the keyboard up to my computer first, or just directly to the pedal?

3. all you'd have to do is set up the keyboard to assign the particular key to send the particular program change...for instance if you want middle C to change the whammy program to the octave up program, set up the keyboard so that when you hit that C, it sends program change 4. Also make sure the keyboard is transmitting data on the same channel the whammy is reading

and I don't believe you need the midi implementation chart as much as the other two manuals :)

EDIT: I looked over the manual for the roland unit, and if i read that corectly, on page 27 is what you need--make sure prog chag is set to ON--that way you can transmit PC data

4. The manual for the Roland though - as far as I've read - doesn't tell me how to assign keys though.

What's the MIDI implementation manual for? May as well be in a foreign language!

I'll have to try this all out when I get home.

5. read the supplementary material at the end of it to see what it all means--it just explains the code used

6. I've got the cable hooked up to each device and neither of them do anything even though they're on the same channel. They are both on channel one. If I hit the "ENDING/REC" button on the keyboard, the whammy goes in and out of Bypass mode, but nothing else works.

7. This is very confusing. If I set the whamy to the OMNI channel, pushing random buttons (not keys, except for Middle C) on the keyboar sends random settings to the whammy...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020