1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland G-77 Questions!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakobro7, Jan 27, 2018.

Synth Bass or nah?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2018.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jakobro7

Jakobro7

Jan 27, 2018
    Ok so im a 80s synth bass fan (cuz who isnt :D) and I really wanted to make a blend of 80s synth pop and modern dance band so i was really considering the Roland G-77 bass guitar. I love the look, I love the decade it was made in, and I especially love the sounds! So now here is my question, I have seen the bass synth that comes with the bass guitar, the G 77B, and while i would mind taking the time to learn it ive heard that is actually rather difficult to make sounds so i was wondering if i could connect it to other synths like yamahas, casios and such? If so could you give me a step by step detailing how im supposed to do it?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Yes, the GR-77B converted the signal from the cheese-cutter bass into a MIDI signal, which could then be connected to other synthesizers and sound modules simply by plugging a MIDI (5-pin DIN) cable from the Roland's MIDI Out jack to the other equipment's MIDI In jack and setting their respective send & receive channels to the same number(s)

Whether you would want to is another question entirely. :)

3. Jakobro7

Jakobro7

Jan 27, 2018
    So I have to to have the G 77B to hook it up to other synths? Also why wouldnt it sounded pretty good to me?

4. I suspect the “difficult to make sounds” may be referring to latency and tracking issues. Even with a newer GK3-B synth pickup the setup has to be almost perfect and there can still be some issues. Big bass strings are difficult to translate into usable synthesizer information.

Seems like there was a Roland owners club or something similar on here but I can’t find them now.

5. Jakobro7

Jakobro7

Jan 27, 2018
    I was actually refering to this seems kinda hard

6. My mistake. 80's tech wasn't as intuitive or standardized as it is now. No one really knew what a touch screen was back then.

Speaking of, does that unit have a midi out?

7. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    Yes:
    roland-gr-77b-07.

8. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    You need the GR-77B floor module to allow the G-77 bass to do anything other than be a glorified and over-appointed passive bass guitar. The synth pickup on that bass speaks a proprietary Roland language that only the GR-77B can understand and convert to MIDI.

I was editorializing when I suggested you might not want to go through all this, based on all the folks who did try it in the 1980s. It's not just the latency and/or inconsistent tracking, there's also the goofy gimmicky aspect of triggering (for example) cheesy grand piano samples with a bass guitar. A lot of tacky music was produced just because it was possible.