roland g20 synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ymmij, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    hi, anyone tried the new roland g 20 synth,and in particular,
    the new bass pickup to use with,g20, and,v bass.
    i want to access piano and string ,as well as effects,on
    my bass.i do a lot of piano like tapping,and need
    something that tracks very good.
    cheers y all. jimmy in the uk.
  2. i heard it works good, but only on the high frets...from my research into MIDI, the processor needs at least half of a wavelength to know what note to play, and although guitars don't have much of a lag, i hear that basses do, as their frequencies are lower, and the wavelengths take longer to complete one full wavelength, so from what i hear, with a standard 34" scale EADG tuned bass, there is going to be a little lag, and although i don't have any experiences with MIDI, i have heard the lag is long enough to turn them off to MIDI bass...from what i hear at least...someone might be able to give some real world experiance...i know that Tim Cole has the GK MIDI setup, and i think someone else does, but i can't remember who...
  3. BassMan Biff

BassMan Biff

Nov 16, 2005
    The GK 3B pickup tracks extremely well with just the V-bass. This will open up alot of possibilities with your tapping. However, none of the settings on the vbass will get you close to a piano tone...great synth, organ-like, and poly tunnings- but no decent working piano tone.

I have seen many posts about guys hooking the GK pickup to a GR and a few other things...worst experiance I have heard was that it did not track as well as they'd like, but it was still cool to mess around with- and still useful. Best experiance was that some tones tracked alot better than others and as superbassman2000 said, the higher in the register you go, the better the tracking.

The vbass itself tracks beautifully until you start messing around with the poly tunnings...then there is a *little* lag here and there, mostly on the lower registers of strings. You can compensate a few different ways...detune just one string, detune just one note, the like.

For tapping, the vbass works very well. Even without the GK pickup, you can still detune strings or detune just one note of the patteren. And you still have a cool effects unit with a workable effects chain.
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    If you're talking about the Roland GR-20 guitar synth pedal thing, I'm using one.

It will give you the piano sound, with several variations, and tons of other sounds as well.
    I use it with my Benavente fretless 6 with internal GK pickup - much the same pickup as the GK3B AFAIK.
    Tracking is quite good, IMO; it is right on over most of the range, but there is a slight delay that becomes noticeable as you approach low B. I begin to notice it as I go below A. How much delay? I'm unable to record sound clips right now, so I can't show you, but on low A string I can play semiquavers at 120 BPM if my technique is clean. On low E it would work at around 90 BPM.... on low B I could possibly do it at around 60 BPM, but I'd have to play on top of the beat to compensate for the delay.
    I hope that gives somewhat of a picture of how the tracking delay is.
    So, apart from the lowest octave, it tracks very well.
    The biggest problem I have, is false triggering. I have set the GK sensitivity on my GR-20 quite high, so that I have a good dynamic range available when I play. But the flipside is that it easily picks up unintentional string noise as well: if, for example, I play a note on the D string, my plucking finger will touch the A string, and sometimes, if I'm not diligent with muting, it'll trigger a note that I don't want from the A string.

Here's another thing I discovered about the GR-20: It is limited to standard tuning B E A D G C. The pitch detection algorithm will ignore notes below low C on the C string, for example, and only track a little above 2 octaves - I think the highest note on the C string would be D5.
    So alternate tunings would not be advisable.
    Also, the guitar mode is similarly optimized for the guitar range, so if yours tracks only above the 12th fret, then you've got the guitar version.

I like my GR-20. It sounds good, and works well. I especially like the way many instruments track vibrato and sliding - it is spot on. Some instruments, of course, does not pitch-bend at all: instruments like piano, organ, vibraphone etc. but they instead trigger new notes if I do a slide.

Did that answer your questions?

For V-Bass questions, try the V-Bass forum.
  5. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    cheers guys, i v still not managed to lay my hands on one
    yet,but i cant wait to try it out.
    i ll keep you all posted. ymmij
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It does for sure, but just to be clear - the vbass isn't doing guitar to midi conversion like other midi synth units are. That's why there's not the latency of those other units.