Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland GK-2B

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Version Luminol, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    Does anyone have any reviews or experience with this particular pickup? I love the idea that it can send individual output for each string, but since there is no where in my area that I can test one out, id like to know if anyone had any experience with it before I spend $200, Thanks!

2. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    OR does anyone know if the external version will fit on a steinberger spirit XT-2 seeing as the body is uber small or will i have to suffer through self installing the internal version?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - how do you want to use it?

It's only intended for use with the Roland V-Bass, or possibly other GK units (VG-88, guitar synths).

Using it just for single-string outputs isn't likely to lead to very good results since it's not designed to sound good by itself (near bridge placement, weak magnets, etc).

If you want single-string outputs maybe a piezo system (RMC makes one that fits this bill) is what you're looking for.

4. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    im definately using it w/ the v bass system

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh, OK. I've got one (and the V-Bass). Never used any other brands though. It wasn't too hard to install (external). The external thing is pretty clunky though, which limits which basses I would want it on.

6. I'm not sure what you'd like to know about the pickup. i have experience w/ both the internal and external GK-2b.

The pickup works just like as described. Its essentially a magnetic pickup that send a signal to the Vbass or V- guitar modelers only
    You have to spend some time setting it up properly to ensure adequate and even triggering of the patches. Yes, you are correct each string is represented as an indivual signal.
    It attaches either permantly via screws or semi-permantly via adhesive strips, the GK pickup is to be placed w/in 50mm of the bridge and w/in 2-3mm of the bottom of your strings.if you bass body is curved this poses an issue, but it is do-able.
    I have a few beefs w/ both the external and internal units. the external unit has to have the control area anchored somewhere. either stick it to the body via adhesive, or attach it to your guitar strap via velcro, or place it over the bridge via a special mount, either way its in the way, and honestly for what you need to do w/ it (control patches up/down, volume, mix) this unit could be way smaller or ultimately removed. Same w/ the internal unit (which is more cumbersome-as it requires you to make 7 additional holes for switches, knobs, and LEDs).
    As for fitting in a Uber small space, you can supposedly place the GK more than 50mm away from the bridge, its still works, but maybe not optimally. IMO if you can stuff it in a space between the rear pickp and the bridge it can work. My Dingwall Afterbruner has a funky angled bridge and shaprly angled pickp and I was able to squeeze it in, and angle it enuf to ensure string coverage. works fine.
    Not sure this was helpful
    frank

7. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    Very helpful, i think im going to go with the internal b/c it appears as if the external wont fit my bass, i went to guitar center today and like you said, the only possible option would be on my guitar strap. but thank you for your help.

8. I will remind you to seriously think about using the internal kit as it will require you to make 6 holes in your bass body, and permantly mount the Gk mag pickup. It wasn't complicated just obtrusive.
    May i ask what instrument this is going on?

W/ that said if you are just using this as a vbass trigger you might want to consider using a Piezo equipped bridge instead. I've seen some retrofitted bridges w/ magtech piezos that are less obtrusive, have 13pin outputs and you also get a piezo tone as well . Something else to consider

9. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    The pickup would be going on a Steinberger xt-2, but since you mentioned 6 holes, ill definately think about switching back to external.

10. Version:
    you need 2 holes for the bank up/bank down switches, 1 hole for bass /vbass mix, 1 hole for volume, and 1 hole for a LED (i'm missing one hole somewhere).
    Sheldon Dingwall and i discussed this at length and if you can find momentary switches you might be able to reduce the 6 holes down to 3 external (w/ a volume knob (turned to full), your bass/vbass mix set to full vbass stuffed in your control cavity).
    Lastly, you have to modifiy the bass to get the GK thru the body into the control cavity, then permantly mount the GK. If this was a $200 essex, i'd say go for it

11. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    Yeah, i am. I will keep you posted, thanks for everything.