Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland GK-3b pickup? Any Users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretlessrock, Apr 11, 2005.

1. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    So I see that Roland is making a GK-3b, bass specific version of the GK-3a pickup that drives their MIDI gear. Some places have it bundled with the GI-20 MIDI converter. Anybody use one? Is it any closer to having decent tracking?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've got the same question. I'm starting up a top 40 pop band and I'm going to need to have different sounds on my bass and doubling my bass with orchestra sounds or guitar sounds.

3. Snikpout

Snikpout

Mar 22, 2005
    It's very easy to fix it on 4 to 6 strings basses (several adapters are delivered with the transducer). Tracking is good, but there is a delay on lower notes and it's unplayable; with higher notes you can play with a very good tracking. It's plugged on a GI-20, which is the best MIDI convertor ever made by Roland, with many controls in order to adjust the convertor response to your playing style.
    The GI-20 and the GK3-B do the job, but with some limitations. Don't expect to have a decent guitar sound with it, because there is a strong attack with a guitar sample and you will have an audible delay; prefer slow attack sounds like flutes, brass, strings, double-bass, analog synths and so on.

eldad likes this.
  4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Wow - people looking for Gi-20 info. Here was me thinking I was the only one here using one !

I posted a review here a while ago - hope this is some use.

Mr Cats thread on the GI-20

5. Bassmanbob

Thank you Mr. Cat.

I was interested in getting one so that I could double up my bass parts with an orchestra sound or with a guitar sound (distorted or clean). If it doesn't track well in the lower register (especially for fast attack sounds like a guitar), is it possible to get a good sound (bass and guitar) if I played the riff an octive higher, then have an octive pedel lower the bass output an octive lower? I would have the regular 1/4" output with the octive pedal lowering my bass sounds and the midi output would play the guitar sound.

Do I have something here???

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Nice idea - kinda started me thinking though and you could play it an octave higer (or two) and get the GI-20 to transpose the signal up to two octaves beneath.
    Store it as a patch so it would change the sound and the transposition and you could switch from 'standard' just by pressing the S1 and S2 on the pickup.
    Then as you say double it with the standard bass sound through an octaver. Or trigger two voices.

IMHO it tracked ok down to low E anyway - the slow response was only really noticeable on the B string.

7. Bassmanbob

Thanks again.

OK, so now if I get the pickup, which modual do I get? V-bass or the other ones that Korg makes?

And what are we talking about $$$? I know it's not going to be just a couple hundred.

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I stand to be corrected but I think you need the GI-20 if you want to drive MIDI equipment. When I looked at the V-Bass prior to buying the pickup (18 months ago now) I found that there was no midi out on it.

So you'd need the pickup, a GI-20 and some sort of midi synth in a box. The latter you can pick up on eBay for next to nothing but thats what generates the synth type sounds.

There are other midi pickups and controllers out there - do a quick search around here on MIDI as the Roland is not the only manufacturer to make MIDI gear for bass. As I remember the tracking on other units was better than the Roland but they cost more $$$.

And you need the lead to connect the pickup to the GI-20 !