1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland gk-3b?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretless Bob, Mar 29, 2006.

1. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i have been looking at the Roland V-bass and the Gk-3b pickup, and i have been thinking about getting one.

so my question is do i have to have that ugly thingy stuck to the body of my bass or can i have it fitted internally?

i did a search but did'nt get anything relavent

Cheers

Dave

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there are internal boards that you can mount if you have sufficient space

3. I have seen a retrofit of the GK module for internal mounting. I'm pretty sure that it was on one of the VG88 forums, maybe Yahoo.

Roland also makes the GK-KIT which is designed for internal mounting. You might want to frop a line t RolandUS and see if they have a solution for bass.

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

good idea, i think i might just do that in the morning. (for some reason doing this never even crossed my mind)

is it just me or are the v-bass floor boards hard to get hold of or what?

Dave

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Any news on that? Also, the Roland site says you don't need to drill holes to the instrument to mount a gk pickup, but I can't see how it's done. Any chance it could be fitted on a tung oil-finished fanned fret dingwall with no drilling? Last question, can you use some sort of similar pickup from a different company to drive a Roland GR-20?
    thx

6. Dragon-
    I did the GK-2b on my Dingwall ABI. You can find photos of that install on the Dingwall forum. you do have to angle the pickup, and it will go on w/ sticky tape. (which the company provides-its not long lasting, but it will work for a while) no idea about a tung oil covered bass, my AB is poly covered.

As for anything else, sure, yamaha has a similar magentic pickup and of course any piezo equipped bridge (see my SuperJ) and appropiate buffer w/13-pin output will drive a Roland device. sheldon and I also considered the internal GK pickup, but voted against it as it required a bunch of drilling, new switches and it still ended up w/ the GK pickup sitting infront of the bridge

Now are you talking midi or the vbass
    frank

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Thanks, found the pics. I just hate that control module, and I'm not even sure it will fit on the top of my Prima... it won't fit where you have it, as I have more knobs, and I don't think I'd like it above the bridge. I was looking at the GR-20 and not the v-bass, which is a bit too expensive for me... and I read in previous threads that for example if you want a piano sound the GR-20 is the way to go, and I'd like to have more options like this.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    You could always go the extra mile and get piezo pickups with a board installed in the bass.

It will look the best, just the added controls and cables with no external box thing. That and it tracks quite a bit better than the GK -- I have the GK-3b on one bass and the lightwave/piezo system on another, and the piezo tracks much better. I can't really compare them look-wise as one's an old, beaten Soundgear and the other's a Spalt Magma, but I'd be lying if I said the weird black square thingy didn't add a little somethin-somethin to a black bass with black strings.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the internal Roland GK-B kit is available from MF - $250 last check.

You can tape the pup to the bass, don't need to drill holes but it's more secure if it's screwed to something.

Had both the roland V bass and GR 20 (albeit briefly). The GR 20 is really sound cop machine which I didn't find useful for playing bass. Also tracks poorly, plays like a synth, and basically has no parameter adjustments. Very simple to use though. The V bass I found had no tracking issues of consequence, plays like a bass (yours in fact), has some great tones, has endless parameter adjustment, is not simple to use by any means, and is very useful for playing bass but not much else.

You can check out my experience on the V bass in the pup forum FAQ under Dimento's V Bass experiment.