Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland GR-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Roland just released a v2.0 software for the GR-20.
    It allows the use of it with a bass, through a GK-2B or the brand new GK-3B.
    [​IMG]

That's a nice alternative to the V-Bass.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I was thinking about picking one of these up, albeit for guitar. Anyone here have one?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Samples on the site are quite convincing.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    At NAMM, the Roland room had a guy playing an OLP Stingray with the new GK-3B pickup driving both a VBass AND a Roland GR-20 at the same time. He was playing with a Piano patch on the GR-20, and the softsolo patch on the VBass.

It was pretty cool. Now I want a GR-20 to go with my VBass. :hyper:

5. i really want one too!
    does the GK-3 work with bass?
    do you need to buy version 2.0 separately?

Charlie

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Version 2.0 is a software upgrade. It'll be free for download off of Roland's amazing website in October. Allegedly. :eyebrow:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ahhhh, so I won't hold my breath for now

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Now that I see that this new GK-3B might actually fit on my Elrick 6, I want my cake and eat it too...

If I want the superb COSM tracking I must get the V-Bass, correct? (Plus I want some polyphonic string panning.)

But if I want to be able to drive my Korg keyboard I must get the GR-20.

I want a COSM rig that tracks like the V-Bass but will send MIDI to my Korg as well (mostly for recording). I can dream, right.

Also, does either of these rigs have Pat Metheny's classic 'distorted trumpet' solo patch?

Any thoughts?

Thanx.
    Tom H.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm pretty certain that, like the VBass, the MIDI out is not sending your notes out. So if you want to control an synth module you're going to need a convertor like the Axon or Yamaha units.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Does anybody know if there's a way to have 2 basses drive one floor unit (either V-bass or GR-20)? I've got an internal gk2b to install in my 5 string, but it's not going to be all that cool if there's no way to A/B both my 4 and 5 into the Vbass. Yes, I could manually unplug, replug, and switch the GK setting but that is a cumbersome process for live work. If the new GR20 software lets me A/B between 2 basses, I'd buy one right away.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think David is right, the GR20 won't drive an external midi synth. The Vbass does have a very good Metheny patch.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Check eBay for products by Digital Music Corporation. I know they made a MIDI patchbay at one point. Now that I think about it, though, it wasn't a 13-pin unit, I'm pretty sure. Ok, scratch that idea, but maybe Roland will have something similar for thier 13-pin connections.

13. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Am I right though that GR-20 will not track as fast as the V-Bass?

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have an older version, the GR-09. Good unit. PM me about it, Christopher.

15. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
  16. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Can the GR-20 track me playing very fast melodic lines? I would like to be able to get it into midi so I can change the sound later if I wish but keep the performance.

If it can't, then I'll just have to go V-Bass and choose my sounds wisely when I lay down my solos.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Tom H.

17. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Bump... Anybody???
    :bawl:

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, as far as I know the gr-20 software update hasn't been released yet for bass. Not in the USA anyway.

One thing to remember: like the vbass, it's not true midi so you can't do midi out from it. But the vbass has the best tracking I've heard so far.

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    :confused:
    http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/...gr20/index.html

...where the video demo says it converts your guitar to midi for sequencing or connecting directly to keyboards or computers!

Tom H.
    (Are they misleading, or didn't you know?) ;)

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Roland US-20 unit selector might work, although it's normally used for switching 13 pin connections the other way: one guitar to either VG-8, synth, or both at the same time. IIRC, it's unbuffered, in which case it would work. There's a schematic linked somewhere from the Yahoo VG-8 group, take a look there. PM me if you come up empty, and I'll take a look at my US-20 with a meter and/or scope. You could always ask Roland tech support too.

Edit: the schematic for the US-20 is gone, but there's a homemade one on www.VG-8.com. Looks doable, but I don't have time right now to check out all the details. The US-20 is fairly expensive for what it is, but you can find used ones occasionally, with effort.