Roland Guitar Synth???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by puppet654, Aug 25, 2001.

1. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    well, I have been very interested in Roland Guitar Synths lately, but sadly I haven't been able to read up much on them lately. Is there a Roland Bass Synth that does the same thing? Or can I mount a Roland Synth Pickup on my bass and just run it through the Guitar Synth module...? I am very interested in all this, because it seems very fun and interesting and helpful for the ecclectic music that I am into which requires many effects...
  2. I don't have a ton of info but there were 2 on Ebay about a week ago. Both sold for about $500

There is a guy in Boston that has one but the synth stuff crapped out on him and he now has it set up as a normal Guitar.

I don't think they sold very well.
  3. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Are you talking about the new (>1995) Guitar Synths? If so, yes you can use them with bass. Except for one thing: Roland dosn't make a bass Hex Pick-up(Would it still be a "hex" pickup?). Not to worry, though, Yamaha and Axon both make synth pickups compatable with the Roland Synths. If you don't want that box hanging off your bass, the pickups can be built into the bass, or into the bridge (like John Turner's basses). Look at his gear sometime for an idea (or two, or nine, or...). In the '80s, there were bass counterparts to the odd Roland 'Synth Guitars', a slightly Alembic shaped one and the one that had the big support rod connected to the headstock. Peavey had the MIDI bass and the Cyber bass that use a wired fret system that is supposedly the most accurate. I did read something about the Roland VG-88 not responding to low notes (I don't remember how low, it was on the stick mailing list). I'm not sure if the GR-33 is the same way, but if it is, there are still GR-30s to be bought.

Hope this helps,
    (I Think I know what I'm talking about, feel free to correct me if I missed something, presented wrong info., etc.)