1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland KC500 vs "Proper" Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jd_watt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I've been running my bass through a sansamp VT, into a Rolland KC500 for home use and practice. I may have an opportunity to start gigging soon, and I've been considering buying a dedicated bass amp. Can anyone explain some of the benefits if making the switch? I'm considering the Ampeg Portaflex 2x10. I'm not sure the KC would be a good fit in a band situation. Its really more of a full range keyboard amp. Thanks!

2. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    If it sounds good to you and it's loud enough for your application, I don't see why not. I think I've read more than one review stating how good it sounded as a bass amp.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Those things were designed to handle bass frequencies just fine. A bass still doesn't have the range of a piano/keyboard. So if it sounds good, and you're running the VT to the board anyway, then let it eat!

4. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey, thanks, guys! I guess I've felt some pressure to go for the amp and 2x10 approach over my pedals and KC, but it's working for now. I just wonder if it will hold up with a band. Then again, I understand most clubs DI bassists anyway. Tough call. Then there's the money...

5. How'd it go with the KC? Was it up to the task? Did it hold up?