1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roland RC 20 XL vs Digitech Jamman: pt. II

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've read the other thread about these two loopstations and some reviews on harmony central. The opinions seem to be 50/50.
    I am starting some kind of drum/bass drum n bass band with a drummer. He is also a DJ. What would be the best choice for me?

2. I have tried both, I like both. I own the Jamman. For me it was the CF card and USB that sealed the deal.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like the USB port, too.

4. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    Neither the Digitech JamMan nor the RC-20XL do MIDI sync. That would be very important if your drummer/DJ friend plans to use any rhytm machines of his own. You don't want your machines and his machines getting out of sync - it's murder on the groove.

Now the Boss RC-50 does have MIDI sync and USB and more knobs and switches that you can shake a stick at. So why did they hobble such an otherwise advanced piece of gear with only 24 minutes of stereo recording time (49 mono), and no visible means of expansion? The JamMan comes with 24 minutes of recording, but can expand to more than 6 hours with Compact Flash cards.

-- T. G. --

5. Because it's Roland. The apparently have two teams of engineers. One to design cool devices, the other to cripple them. MIDI sync and a feedback control would be great. Sadly, Team B got to the design first...

:eyebrow:

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yes, I've heard about midi sync, but the machines who do have that are well over my budget.

Btw, that second paragraph kinda confuses me...

7. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    I was mainly pointing out to you that the RC-50 has MIDI sync. After that I went on a bit of a rant that wasn't necessarily related to your question.

Rant summarized and clarified (?): Why did Digitech make a looper with up to six hours of recording time but no MIDI sync? Why did Roland make a looper with MIDI sync (and a lot of other advanced features), but only hard-wire it with 29 minutes of recording time?

If you are only working with live-played loops, 29 minutes is probably fine, but the massive storage of the Digitech means you could store a whole set's worth - no, a whole night's worth of prerecorded backing tracks and other material.

-- T. G. --

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ok, thanks :)

9. That would be one way of simulating midi sync sorta. On the jaman you could prerecord drum parts then layer over them. Either a full drum part or just some key hits so that your drumer could hear them and keep in sync with you and the machine but still leave room for him to add more drums. I wish they had a metronone out for the drummer so that you could do stuff on the fly with out hearing the metronone through the PA.