Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland V-Bass and the Lightwave/Roland interface

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 6, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hey all,

just had my mod re-soldered....it is a prototype afterall.

spent a few hours setting up the v-bass again.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

i'm still blown away by this unit.

and the Lightwave to Roland interface is FLAWLESS!!!!!

just have to set it up correctly on the V!!!

eeeeeeeek!

f

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hey Fred...When you gonna get some clips over to Mark to put on his page? I really want to hear the V-Bass with the Lightwave. I'm loving my V so far, and I'm pretty intrigued by the Lightwave system.

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well...i'm prepping for the NAMM 2003 bass bash, so time is limited.

BUT!!!!!!!!!

why don't i host them on my own page?!?!?!?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!??

hehe...

i tell ya, the lightwave blended in sounds fantastic!

soon soon.

hmm, isn't there one over on my yahoo group?

lemme check...

yes there is...

sucky quality, but still:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altguitarbass/files/vbass1a.mp3

fred

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    had some more fun.

panned the VB left and the LW right.

pretty stunning i must say.

first samples will show at mark's page...he's the VMASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f

5. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Hey fhodshon, I'm pretty curious about getting a lightwaves system and setting it up with my V-bass.
    Your bass has the lightwaves as it's only pickup, right? I'm wondering how easy it is to order one
    and put it in one of my current basses. Does it have a divided output that goes direct to the Vbass
    or do you need something else???

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yes, my Zon is Lightwave only.

Lightwave Systems currently does not sell the pickups as a KIT.

unless you are a guitar builder with some history.

plus, the Lightwave/Roland mod is still in the prototype stages and not quite available yet.

the Lightwave/Roland interface bypasses the magnetic Roland pickup altogether.

amazing V-Bass response!!!

more info after NAMM i'm sure.

fred

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm looking forward to getting a lightwave setup for my VBass.

I have to tell you, though, Fred--Between the Naked Lunch quote, and the R Crumb avatar, I'm almost scared to look at your posts!

8. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    roland should make a rack unit of the vbass and have a midi footboard out on it, rather than being a floor unit. I hear they're still sweet though

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i agree with the rackmount idea.

i thought about waiting it out.

but, i've been waiting years for the rackmount version of the VG8...which i also own.

never happened.

oh, i'll have my Zon Lightwave/Roland V-Bass available for demoing at my house the Saturday night of NAMM.

that is, if the get-together is gonna happen.

still rebuilding my house after all these 80mph winds recently.

i'll post updates.

SEE YA AT THE NAMM BASSBASH!

www.bassquake.org

f

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sweeter words never read!

fred

11. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey guys,

Just in case anyone's curious, the Zon Lightwave with 13-pin I'm having built is almost completed, Joe's trying to get it finished before he heads off to NAMM. From his reports, it sounds like the 13-pin Lightwave integration isn't ready to be released as a product yet.

BTW Fred, while I don't have the bass yet, I've gotten the V-Bass and was curious what settings you were using for the LIghtwave pickup. I'm guessing you're treating it as one of the piezo settings, but there seems to be no indication on what the difference between Piezo1 and Piezo2 are.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm glad you guys are kind enough to figure all of this stuff out so I can just pick your brains when I get my setup later this year. :D

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So true, so true. I REALLY look forward to having that set-up in the hopefully not too distant future!

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    when i got the interface mod from LW Sys, i too thought that the V-Bass should be set to a PIEZO setting.

sounded like POOPOO!!! i was informed that the mod is tailored to emulate the GK2B mag response.

once i set it to that and set the bridge to pickup dis to near 0.

ALL WAS BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD!!!

apparently, the dynamic of the PIEZO vary so much from string to string, that the 2 PIEZO settings in the V-Bass compensate for this.

i had to send the interface board back once, for some fine tuning.

again, i should have this available at my house the saturday night of NAMM (1-18-2003) for people to try.

i'm about 5-7 miles from the convention center.

f

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm ready to take the leap from POD to Vbass. I think my single PUP fretless Rapture 5 is a good candidate. Any tips on a good source (good price is what)? The MARs here had gone out of business before I was ready to get one. Do they come ready to go, or do I need to buy any accessories?

16. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Fred recommended Rik's Music (www.riksmusic.com) to me and suggested contacting Erik there.

I dropped Fred's name and they gave me a superb price (not sure if those things are related...:D), and shipped rather quickly. It arrived with no problems, I'd definitely recommend them.

17. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Oh, I almost forgot, there's two varieties of V-Bass packaging.

1. The "without pickup" version, which I bought since I'll be having the Lightwave system feeding it. This provides you with a V-Bass, power cable, and 13-pin cable to connect a "Roland ready" bass to the system. Additionally, it has an analog (1/4") input, though you loose some of the fancier effects, and 1/4" and XLR outputs.

2. The "with pickup" version, which is the exact same thing, only with an external mounting GK-2B that you can mount on your bass to feed the V-Bass. Costs a bit more, but probably worth it.

18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Thanks Mike, I gave them a call. Still a bit pricey at $949, but even worse, none in stock, so a 2-4 week wait. I'll wait a bit and see if I can find one used.

19. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've seen 'em up on eBay for around $750-$850. Do a search on the classifieds here...JahKnow (I'm pretty sure that's who it was) was selling one for something around there. I don't know if he's still got it, though, but it's worth a try. Another online retailer you may wanna check would be ZZounds. They seem to have the cheapest price on the case for it and the extra GK-2B pickup.
    If you find a good price that you can live with, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking it up. I never really played with alot of effects, maybe a bit of chorus, but that's about it, but I LOVE my V-Bass. And I haven't even scratched the surface of its potential.

20. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.