roland v bass (dumb questions)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Im wondering about the roland v bass system?
    does anybody have this thing?
    if so whats it like?
    and is the pickup hard to install ..(like do you just skrew it on by the bridge or is it something you have to get put in?
    im thinking about it pretty soon.. Ima get a new a new bass prolly a spector or another fender or something.. and i was gonna maybe get that too or else a boss gt-6... thanks for you help
  2. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  3. I don't think anybody has it yet. The Namm article I saw indicated that it was coming soon.
  4. I haven't physically tried either, but looking at them on paper the Boss GT-6B looks better 'cos it's near enough the same thing but less than half the price. When they become available, I'll definitely be trying out the GT-6B!!
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can't say that I've used the V-Bass in person, but yesterday I received the new Roland/Boss promotional video taped at NAMM 2002 in January. After fast-forwarding through 50 minutes of keyboard and guitar cr*p, I finally got to the section I ordered the tape for... the V-Bass.

Displayed and demoed by Alain Caron, the V-Bass is pretty much the ultimate in amp/effect modeling. As a guitarist friend of mine uses the VG-8 for all of his sounds, I didn't think I would be surprised at the quality of the unit.

Color me surprised. :D

The polyphonic effects possible by the GK-2B pickup is beyond words. Imagine programming a "virtual" set of jazz pickups, and splitting the coils so it's "slanted" across the strings (B-string by the bridge, C-string by the end of the fretboard). The result is a tighter sound on your lower notes and a softer, more melodic sound in the high range. P-bass, Ric, StringRay... all of the classic pickup sets are there, and able to be modified.

The same goes with the amp selections. B-15, Bassman, SVT, Trace - all modeled and available to be modified. From what I recall, all the parameters could be modified including gain, E.Q (including parametric), and other features.

From there, you can "choose" what type of body style you'd like on your "virtual" bass - upright, fretless, shallow ABG, deep ABG.

The video didn't go into the effects as much as I had hoped, but what I saw was great. The synth bass sounds were top-notch, and the divided pickup lets you separate effect and other variables based on strings - imagine having a "growly" overdrive on your lower strings while combining that with a synth-bass sound on the upper strings. Alain's demo of this effect was jaw-dropping. Other effects include modeled compression, modeled wah, modeled overdrive/distortion, extensive EQ, delay, chorus, reverb, and if the quality of my friend's VG-8 is any indication, they'll be top quality as well. The expression pedal also provides realtime control over most parameters.

This may sound too good to be true (and as I haven't used it in real life, I'll reserve judgment until I can play it), but based on what I've read and hear, the V-Bass sounds like a definite winner to me. If I had the ca$h, I'd run my "dream" amp rig from my bass’s magnetic pickups, run the V-Bass from the GK-2B into a "P.A."-type setup, and have the best of both worlds. :D

Obligatory notice - I am in no way affiliated with Roland or Boss. I simply dig the V-Bass that much! ;)
  6. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    WOW!! I didnt hear about this, but if its anything like the VG8 its gonna be a killer, a guitarist friend of mine uses the VG8 as well but he primarily uses it for tunings, ie: instead of having to physically tune his guitar for each song (he uses really really strange tunings) he pre-programs them into his VG8 and by simply hitting a pedal the VG8 simulates these tunings for him :eek: , I think Joni Mitchell uses the same thing when she plays live.
  7. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    anyone have a link or something to the V-Bass on roland's site?

I've never seen it, and I'm having a hard time of figuring out what it is exactly.

Not looking to buy one... I was just curious is all.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    What's the difference between the RMC synth/Roland V Bass (13 pin) and a MIDI pickup system? And are there certain advantages to either one?
  9. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    goto and check it out
    or else www.musiciansfriend and search for vbass
    its very koool looking.. im proly gonna get the boss gtb6 cause im looking for a 5 string fretless..
  10. I checked out the guitar versions of these things and they are pretty awesome. I'm not convinced a bass version will be as good--but we'll see, right?

(I'm a little biased with the bass, with bass I usually want a very analog sound that is phat, full and detailed--any sort of "digital shortcomings" would be really bad in my opinion--I did not like the sound of the Zoom 708 or the Bass POD, and I'm not inclined to think I'd like the GT-6B or the V Bass. But anyway...I do look forward to getting an Akai Deep Impact, different area altogether to me)

On regular guitar, I got to A/B the Roland magnetic pickup vs. the RMC piezo ones--the RMC piezo ones were a world better! Tracking was way better on both units with RMC pickups meaning it was playable (you just played and it worked), the Roland version seemed glitchy and you had to be extra careful and deliberate to get it to trigger right with the GR unit (MIDI-triggering)--this totally got in the way of enjoying playing music.

The trick I think will be to go check it out at a Guitar Center or something, and to do so amp'd through a large PA setup!