Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland V Bass - fitting the pickup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbloke, Dec 18, 2004.

1. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    I just bought a V-Bass through Ebay.

Most of the low tech bits and bobs needed to attach the pickup and controller are missing (not surprisingly, I guess, since most of it may only be useable once). So no Controller Spacer, Pickup Cushion, Pickup Spacer, Velcro, Double Sided Tape etc.

I don't want to start screwing things into my bass at this stage.

Anyone else faced the problem of mounting the pickup and controller without the stuff Roland supplies and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I recently went through the same thing w/ my GK-2a for guitar. I rolled gaff tape into a thin tube about the right width w/ the sticky side out, stuck it to the bottom of the pup, and then carefully slid it under the strings. It took a few tries to get the tube the right width for proper triggering. I also gaff taped the controller module to the body. Once I was sure I liked it, I still wasn't sure I wanted to put all those screw holes in my nice guitars, so I bought a cheap guitar from www.rondomusic.com and screwed w/ no worries. I cut a spring from a pen to go on the screw between the body and the pup.

Once you get used to these synth pups, you realize that you're not really using much tone from your bass at all, even on the blend settings, so it doesn't really matter what bass the pup is mounted on as long as it feels good to you. My V-Bass pup is mounted on a cheap www.musicyo.com Kramer and I wouldn't change a thing.

3. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Thanks.

I will probably go down the same route if I decide the V Bass is something I really want to stick with. I don't want to start sticking screws in any of my current basses - I'll probably buy one of the cheaper Yamaha or Carvin 5s if I decide to attach the pickup permanently.