Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland V-Bass modeller and GK-2b pickup - $650

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mikezimmerman, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Roland V-Bass modeling unit, with GK-2b detachable pickup.

Over 200 factory and user programmable modelled instrument, amp, and effects combinations, covering everything from a vintage P-bass through a B-15, to a decent "Jaco" fretless that's always in tune, to a Moog pedal bass, to some truly wacky synth sounds. Amps and effects, too, and no tracking issues whatsoever--this is modelling, not MIDI.

Normal playing/gigging wear, but in good condition--the only problem I've ever had is that the plug on one end of the 13-pin cable is a little wobbly. I'm just not using this thing anymore since leaving my progressive trio. Comes with a padded Carvin carrying bag.

Asking $650 plus shipping, or will drop $50 off if you buy it in combination with the Warmoth Jazz 5 I have the pickup installed on.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oooh so tempting!

Is this a divided pickup in the sense that certain strings can run different sounds? Does it offer any keys, horns, organs, or other synth sounds?

The only experience I have with a system like this is the GR-33 and VG-88 guitar processors so sorry if Im way off base.

Peace
    Nick

3. Hi Nick,

You can do some different things with different strings--the detuning and harmonizer stettings can be assigned on a per-string basis, for instance. I think you can also assign the modelled sound blend level on a per-string basis, but I'm not positive. You can't assign different sounds to different strings, however.

This system is closer to the VG-88 than the GR-33, I believe. Most of the modelled sounds are different types of bass (solid body, semi-hollow, fretless, acoustic, upright) with different programmable parameters, or various types of synth sounds, run through different amp and effects models.

Mike

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how bout the iod on trade to this?
    i tried

steve

5. I seem to recall reading that you can interface the pickup with other midi hardware or midi equipped computers. If that's true, you can use it with any synth module or software synthesizer. Could be cool.

6. The GK-2b pickup does not produce MIDI output, so you can't drive a sound module with it.

It can be used with a MIDI converter if you happen to have one (like the Axon units), and from there could drive a MIDI sound module. However, the V-Bass unit itself does not provide MIDI conversion or output.