Roland V-Bass on a fretless / Piezo bridges

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigcatJC, Apr 8, 2005.

1. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    OK, I'm really starting to G.A.S. for the V-Bass. I'm wondering if anybody here has tried using the system on a fretless bass, how this sounds and/or tracks vs. a fretted bass, etc.

Plus, I'm wondering if anybody has tried a piezo bridge setup like the Graph Tech Ghost or RMC instead of the Roland pickup. Do you notice any difference and is it worth the extra work and money to install a bridge system?

Any help will be appreciated.
  2. Hey- I can answer both questions.
    I installed a GK-2b on my Dingwall fretless bass, it worked and sounded fine. Tracked fine and sounded cool. You should hear the fretless patch played on a fretless bass. mwah from your bass and fake mwah from the patch.-totally cool.
    AS for piezos drive the v-bass, this also works. I have rmc piezos on my Dingwall SuperJ. They drive the vbass. It took we a bit to program the vbass esp the sensitivity and pickup distance to optimize the sounds, otherwise it seems to work fine
  3. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    Thanks! Do you have any preference between the RMC and the Roland pickups? I've heard that bridge-mounted piezos work better with the V-Bass, but that could just be somebody trying to sell something :smug: .
  4. well right now i have no preferances. The only thing i can tell you is both work pretty well. You can't discern tracking issues as they both track amazing. On my piezo equpped bass i only have a "patch up/patch down" toggle, so its much less complicated to use over the GK