Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland V-Bass question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I am looking for an all in one effects pedal. I found a Roland V-Bass for $300. I have heard good things about this unit, but everyone I have seen uses the Roland pickup that you have to install on you bass. This poses two problems for me:

1. I run a wireless system, and there is NO way that I could wire up.
    2. The thing is just plain ugly

I use a GK 1001RB head that has an effects loop. Does anyone know if I can just run the V-Bass through the effects loop with 1/4" cables?, just like it was a regular effect pedal.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes you can but many functions will be lost.
    Can't help with the wireless issue but may 3rd parties offer discret solutions using piezos so you won't even see the pickup.

3. Yea, I had heard that on the review. I really don't care much about all the modeling. I mainly want the effects. Will I still be able to use most of these?

4. Grimoire

Grimoire Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    I auditioned one a year or so ago, both with a GK bass and through a normal pickup. With the standard pickup I found about 50% of the functions were either very restricted or failed to work at all. For $300 this might not be such an issue, but I think without the GK most of the point of the unit is lost...give it a try somewhere if you can, the only way to be sure.

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    how the hell did you find a v-bass for $300... everything on ebay is like $300 more at least!

6. lol, All I can say is that I am highly blessed and favored of God. I credit it to the fact that I always tithe exactly what I am supposed to. I always seem to find whatever it is that I need at the moment for lower that usual prices. I got my Ampeg PR410H cab for $200 about 3years ago, and my Hartke 7000 head for $180, hahaha.

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    you should offer your services to others who are less fortunate! id like to place an order for another v-bass when it comes your way :)

8. Amen...thats a good place to be, in His shade. Things just always work out. ;)

9. I wish everyone knew first hand how true that is.

10. So to answer your question yes you can use th eVbass unit like a giant modeling effects pedal unit. Just run your 1/4" in and out to the amp. You'll get all the effects pedals, but loose all the guitar modeling and amp simulations, but it works fine.
    I'm not sure you loose 50% function, but some of the effects like wah-pedal w/ rocker footswitch dont work unles you'd 13pinned up. I have used the unit stirctly as an effects unit.
    As for finding these units for cheap. Unfortunately it shows that Roland will most likely not support these units long-term, and many places online have them for sale for under $600 w/ the Gk2p'up. So $300 is a stretch but i can assume a music store doesn't want to get stuck w/ older unsupported technology.
    I would have loved roland to come out w/ an computer based patch editor, or at least a few patch updates, but it took them forever to upgrade the GR-guitar synths, so I can only assume that this is a lower priority

11. I don't quite understand. Are you saying that $300 is a little high, or that it will be hard to find one at that price?

12. I'm saying that $300 is a steal, they are averaging ~$600 now. When i and many others bought them they were sellin for $1200 w/ the GK p'up

13. Yea, I found 2 of them without the GK pickup for $300 each. I went and played one today and loved the sounds. One problem though, the bypass button is tiny and not at all something that you would want to be trying to hit with your foot while you are on stage jaming. Therefore, sadly I can not use it.

If anyone wants one of these, they are both at the GC in Arlington TX. They are both used so I am sure you could talk them down even more.

14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I would take both at that price. I have emailed GC in Arlington. Are you jerkin' me around on this price? That is ridiculously low and much lower than anyone else...? :confused:

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i would take one if i wasnt in australia... have u thought of using one inside a true bypass loop box? you could leave the unit on constantly but stomp on the external true bypass to engage/disengage.. man if u can get them for that price i wouldnt pass it up. buy one then sell it on ebay, easy money.

16. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    GC has 3 available with no manual or pickup for $399. That is a very good price, and I'm gonna get one as a backup, so I guess there's 2. Full warranty plus 30 day guarantee.

17. vanceg

vanceg

Jul 7, 2005
    seattle
    Hey - If you didn't end up buying that V-Bass for $300, I'd love it if you let me know how to get in touch with the person who was selling. I'd buy it.

Vance

vanceg (at) earthlink (dot) net