Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Apr 19, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Anyone had the chance to try one yet? If so, What do you think? I'm wondering what the synth sounds are all about. From what I understand, It's more of a modeling tool that anything else. Alot of samples of vintage basses, amps, and the like. Also, can you link it with standard midi devices? It uses a Roland split pickup, though there's no mention of midi in any of the ads I've seen. Looks way cool though. I'll be in richmond on a gig in may. I'll try it out at Mars and post a review when I get back.

2. Hi:
    this was recently reviewed in the bass guitar forum. Check out a hands-on report there
    frank

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Where in the bass forums? I can't seem to find it.

4. you must be kidding? :confused: :eek: :confused:

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    No, not kidding. It's probably right in front of my face and I'm not seeing it. Throw a link up if you would. Thanks.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Roland V-bass uses a 13-pin system, not MIDI. RMC makes a synth pick up that uses the same 13-pin system that's supposed to work better than the Roland pickup. It probably costs more too.

7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I know about the pickup being 13 pin. What I'm wondering is if the synth itself is midi compatable. I'll get to try one soon enough and find out. Can't wait.

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I know about the pickup being 13 pin. All the roland GR series guitar synths use the same setup and have midi ins, and outs. What I'm wondering is if the synth itself is midi compatable. That way you could use it as an interface. I'll get to try one soon enough and find out. Can't wait.

9. As far as I know the V-bass has a midi out for standard midi signals

10. I just tried the V-Bass today at Guitar Center. To say this thing kicks a$$ is an understatement. The modeled sounds are great, especially the fretless and upright bass sounds. Soooo smooth. The synth sounds are also pretty good too. I spent about an hour just going through all the presets - I think there are about 100, and all of these are modifiable. Anyway, I just thought I'd chime in.

I don't know if I'll ever go for one of these, but just for the upright bass sounds, it's probably worth it. Maybe when I have $1000 burning a hole in my pocket I'll go out and buy one.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the roland v-bass is _not_ a synth unit - there is no conversion from bass signals to midi notes going on in the unit. to get that kind of thing your best bet is an axon ax100. this unit can come with or without internal sounds, and also works well triggering sounds via midi.

the v-bass is a very specialized form of eq, that's why there is no tracking delay - it takes the actual signal from the synth pickup and modifies it.

12. I saw Alain Caron playing with this thing last night and all I can say is: WOW!! It is amazing the range of sounds you can get out of it and what kind of music can be created when it is in the right hands. Alain played some great stuff with it, and it really made some of the solos sound even better than normal. How much do these things cost?

13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    About $1250 for the unit and pickup. Too much, if you asked me. I'll wait a year or so to buy one.
    John, you mean there are no internal sounds with the v-bass? The guitar version (the v system, not the GR-33) has a bunch of horns, pianos, etc. From what i've heard the V-bass has a lot of what seem to be synthisized sound as well. So, It's like a sophisticated micro synth, sound melding thing?

14. But in that case what are the midi in and outputs for???

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    For those who have demoed this thing, do the vintage, upright, and fretless bass patches really sound authentic?
    To my ears, just changing the EQ doesn't usually create a whole new bass sound. The timbre of a specific bass has to much to do with the components. Often you can just eq-in certain tonal characteristics. No?

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's lots of gear out there with MIDI in/out that doesn't use MIDI for sounds. MIDI is used to control program changes and the parameters of each patch. I'm sure there's other stuff MIDI can be used for too.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, the midi i/o is for patch changes and other midi sysex information, the goal being that this unit can be your main floor board unit and control other midi units if you have them.