Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland Vbass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Mar 9, 2003.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Those who have bought the Roland Vbass unit, are you still using it? Did you find it to be a every day useful tool? What are you're likes/dislikes about it? Any tracking problems? Worth the $$$? Thanks.

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think it depends on what your everyday bass routine is... mine is in the studio, so I am using mine pretty frequently. I don't gig on bass presently, so I can't help much there...

We had 2 @ the GTG in Atlanta last night, I'm sure some of the attendees will voice their opinions too.

I think the pitch-shifter is the only thing that could be better. Like most, it has trouble in the really low registers, but that's not really where you use it anyway- so it is pretty useable.

I don't know if 'tracking' is really even an accurate term for the V-bass...since the GK2b is a magnetic-type p'up, it functions like any other mag you're familiar with...it catches all the nuances of your playing and translates it immediately. I would liken it more to playing thru an effects pedal than a guitar synth...tracking is simply not an issue.

I think if you could find one used it would definitely be worth it. Depends on your playing situation as to whether I'd recommend buying one full-price.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks X

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Full price is a bit steep. Keep an eye on eBay, though. Used ones pop up around $700-$800, and I would DEFINITELY say it's worth that, considering all the programming and editting you can do on the effects alone. A few "boutique" pedals will cost you that, alone. Alot of the presets I thought were kinda cheesy at first, but those were actually the ones I ended up using first.
    A quote from Woodchuck at the ATL Gathering:
    "If you play around with one of these, I'll guarantee you'll write a new song in 5 minutes."

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They're definitely cool. Like Xush said, as far as the modeling goes there is no tracking - it just works. There are a few actual synth-type patches that can glitch, but they're not the bread and butter of the system. The pitch changing is pretty weak though, I agree.

The effects processing alone is almost worth the price - it's got lots of them, they're very high quality, and can be chained in any (series) order you wish almost. Add in the amp simulator, and it's a good thing. So I've actually used mine more *without* the GK-pickup and modeling, than with it! But I've been able to get some good things going with those features too.

I'd use it more if it were more "luggable", however. Hasn't really left the house because of that.

I expect it to get a lot of use if/when I ever getting around to setting up multitrack recording on my computer.

6. Ranthony

Ranthony

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I use mine a lot more than I thought I would. I had been playing in a old school Jazz band, backing female vocalist. So I got a chance to use the acoustic bass sounds a lot. Of course, nothing compares to having a good ole acoustic bass in front of you, but the acoustic sounds were great. I got no complaints. I have been invited to start playing with a R&B band starting starting next weekend. Again, backing a female vocalist. The list of songs they gave me to learn will give me a chance to put the V-Bass to work some more. There are a few sounds that I use all of the time when it comes to composing. But I can just about put my roland keyboards away for a while. I used them to play those Bass Synth lines that seem to be popping up more and more.

Note: I pulled out all of my old Herbie Hancock albums (yes albums) to get good at playing those synth bass lines. Try it. The price should coming down across the board now. Keep you eye on E-Bay.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Got to messing around with it tonight, stumbled across some familiar sounds. Tried to record some of it. This is just bass into the "bass in", no GK or COSM. Just the effects capabilities of the unit. In my fairly unskilled hands. :)

http://home.attbi.com/~taylorsherman/sscape.mp3

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have decided to sell mine- its great and i love it, but i dont take it to gigs because its more setup time and frankly, i just want to have sonething i can plug all my basses into - not just the ones that have a gk pup-