Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland VS890 Studio Set-Up

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by djproject, Apr 24, 2002.

1. My goal this summer is to get a Roland VS890 digital recorder. My intended set-up is to hook it up to my computer (specs will come soon) and use the recorder as a way to record various instrument parts and then send it to the computer for it to be manipulated and altered.

Now what else do I need to complete the studio? (I'm hoping to "rent it out" for small groups so I know microphones will be useful)

Thanks,

DJP

2. I don't know if you have any experience using a digital recorder but from what I've read on a few recording BBS sites the VS890 (and the entire Roland VS series) are quality machines but the learning curve is very steep. I'm just getting into digital recording and I am waiting for a floor model VS840 I just bought to arrive. If I didn't get it so cheap I probably would have bought another unit that is less complicated to operate but I'm on a budget.

Since you are planning on making your purchase this summer you have plenty of time to research the right recorder for you. Buy the biggest machine (track wise) you can afford but take into consideration how many inputs each machine has and how many tracks it can record simultaneously. More is better. Lurk on some recording sites and see what other people in the same situations are using.

What gear will you need to start? I couple decent mics, good set of headphones, a pair of reference monitors and a CD burner will get you going.

Good Luck.

3. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    I've been a VS Series user since they were released. Pro quality units and simply awesome for portable applications. Lately, I've been doing quite a bit of live recording of local DJs. Hey...the bass gigging has been slow lately. PC-based stuff is really cool....but not when you hit the road. Having a VS in the arsenal is a great way to go.

Anyhew, I'm selling one of my units. It's a VS880 Xpanded with all the latest firmware. The preamps are simply awesome for direct bass recording.

$500 includes shipping and ALL the manuals. That includes the cheater black market stuff, trick books, and studio secrets.

Let me know if you're interested.
    funkastorious@hotmail.com

As for your questions...what you need depends on your application. As mentioned, you need QUALITY mics if you're doing non-DI work. Otherwise, I won't spend any money until you've really played around with the VS Series. Most folks only use 10% of the functionality because they mess around with other pieces of equipment. I use the SCSI out into my PC. However, all the editing features in the VS rival my Digital Performer set-up on the PC.

I'm more than happy to help ya out....love to sell ya some gear to boot.

kent

Opps, off to ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=868561916