Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roland XP-80 (or XP-60) for learning keys?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 20, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I know it's wretched overkill, but...

I've been looking at various ways of getting into keys. I have an interest in synths - I came of age listening to early Prog. I don't play now.

I happened across a local store that has one each of a demo Roland XP-80 and XP-60 on deep discount blowout. They have a little wear, but would be sold as new with warranty. Cheap, too - the XP-80 would cost about twice of what a midgrade Casio or Yamaha keyboard with built-in speakers and cheesy accompaniment would fetch.

Is there any reason I shouldn’t jump on one of these? Is there anything to recommend the XP-80 over the XP-60, other than the extended range and $100?

2. Any synth under $200 really isn't something to plan on for long-term keyboard playing. Get a good/medium synth now and save yourself having to upgrade later.

Remember, when you hear a demo, consider that the best the synth is capable of doing. They purposefully make the demos sound amazing, mind you.

3. Here's a link to a site called vintagesynth, there is information on the XP-60 and -80. Appears the only difference is 61 vs. 76 keys.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/

According to prepal, a used XP-60 is worth about $798.

http://www.prepal.com/data/Roland.htm

Personally, I've played on a used xp-60 and loved the sounds, and the keybed (keys) have a very good feel to them. The XP-60 and -80 are 'workstations', meaning that you also have an onboard sequencer. Nice if you want to save your compositions.

Many pros (studio and live) still use this keyboard.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's a whole lot of synth. I've just have had bad luck with used keyboards.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What kind of things should I be looking for? (Don't forget these would still have the factory warranty.)

It's just that, at $400 for the XP-60 or $500 for the XP-80, I'm sorely tempted. The potential cost of expansion RAM is scaring me, though.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the links - I found vintagesynth.com yesterday, but haven't gotten beyond the specific pages for the XP-60 and -80. I'll go take a poke around.

And I had completely forgotten about prepal! Makes the prices they're asking look pretty good.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Still with warranty? Maybe you should tell me where they are and I'll check 'em out and get back to you.:)
    Seriously, in that case, I'd get one, fo' sure! As to what to look for... my recorded not to good. My advice would be suspect.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Trust me, it's a lot less suspect than mine!

Think how I feel - I've gone from looking at cheap (sub $300) Yamahas and Casios to a full blown workstation in less than 24 hours. I know I'm guilty of having gear well beyond my capabilities, but come on! This is nuts!

9. $400 with a warranty? :eek:

Please, I beg you - stop wasting time with this thread and go get your synth so you can start learning to work it.

That is a smoking deal for that board. :hyper:

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I know - a Brad Johnson kind of deal, huh? :D

I'm actually leaning toward the XP-80 over the XP-60 - can you argue me out of it?

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Go! Buy! If you buy both, I'd be willing to take one off your hands. Hurry!

12. 61 keys are nice for portability and they take up less room onstage.

Let us know what you get :) .

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    76 keys just fits in the trunk of my Impala.

:D

Thanks, guys!

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    BTW, this is proving to be a gas. I was able to figure out the leads to two songs in just a few minutes while waiting for water to boil on the stove. What is the old saw - piano is easy to learn, but difficult to master?

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Congrats. One way or the other, I'm gonna have fun to... or suffer spousal abuse.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    [ghostly voice]Buy the Fantommmmmm...[/ghostly voice]

;)

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, if anyone's interested in the XP-60 ($400) or the Fantom ($1000, I think), let me know and I'll give you the contact info. No connection between me and the store - I'm just trying to pass on the deals I can't use!

18. wannabeaslapper

wannabeaslapper

Nov 23, 2004
    Actually, that's about all those boards are worth. I've been playing the xp60 for the past two years, and for me it just has marginally good sounding acoustic pianos, so whenever I feel it's important to have good piano sounds, I bring my Kurzweil. The electric pianos on it sound ok though. I'm a keyboardist/organist learning the bass. I'd say like the other dude though, go ahead and get it. The 76-key ofcourse! 61 keys suck unless you're just doing backup.