Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roland's new ffp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, Dec 19, 2000.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i'm getting one of roland's new ffp combo amps. it should be coming this week. anyone heard one yet? i am hoping this thing has some nice tone and power.

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You mean you've ordered an amp without even hearing it!

Are you mad?

Seiously though mate. I tried one out with a Warwick Thumb and was suitably impressed. The Tube tone is quite realistic. And in general, the power belies it's size.

I'm torn between one of these and one of the Warwick CCL's at the moment.

3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL

well, i've heard roland before and i enjoyed their quality, heard nothing but good things about them and i had some extra money left over after a trip and needed a new amp. so i ordered it asap. later

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've played thru both of the new Roland digital bass amps and I thought they were very good. The model with the 12" sounded great for its size but the one with the 15" had a lot more oomph. I liked the programmability and range of sounds, and the Feed Forward Processing seems like a good idea; it continuously monitors the signal and optimizes the response of the power amp and speakers. The Rolands impressed me more than the Peavey, Trace Elliot, and Ampeg combos I have tried...good luck.

5. which one are you getting dude? the 12 or the 15? i have a 12 i tried it out at mars music and bought it the next day.i also have a SWR workingman 15 that i like a little more but the Roland FFP 12 i have is great.

6. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i am getting the 12" soon. i wouldn't mind the 15", but i'll have a hard enough time stickin this in my 98' taurus.

7. its a nice amp with some good features, can't see any reason why you won't be pumped.

8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i am soo pumped right now. it is gonna move my little peavey microbass amp over. that microbass is still a great ol' amp for its cost though.

9. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I had the Roland DB-500 and sent it back after about a week. It was the noisiest amp I ever had and the 12" speaker went CRAZY on certain notes, like it was going to jump out of the cabinet. I tried it with several different basses and absolutely hated it. Now the DB-700 is a different story. That amp is a MONSTER and shook the entire house. It still sounded a little noisy (hiss) but the 250 watts with the 15" and horn sounded very good.

10. haven't had a problem with mine and i have tried various basses thru it, haven't tried it on any gigs yet because i have a SWR WK15 but the volumes fine for playing with a drummer and guitar player. haven't had any noise but i rarely use the compresser and chorus that are built into it.

11. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Th chorus and compressor do add a LOT of hiss. And the tube amp model added hiss, too. They're still very nice amps, and built like tanks.

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    How realistic are Roland's claims that their FFP amps can compete with amps with higher power ratings? I was considering buying the DB-500 (I like the idea of gigging with a 1-12 combo, and I even got Roland's promo VHS tape), but I'm still curious about the claims of over achieving volume. Are they really louder than their power rating suggests?

13. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    The DB-700 seems to be much louder than its rated 250 watts. The thing shook my house like you wouldn't believe, and it sounded very clear. The DB-500 seemed disappointing to me. I just wasn't impressed at all with (among other things) the volume and clarity.