Role when jamming.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bongo499, May 3, 2005.

1. bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    I jam wiht a guitarest once a week. Is the bassist job to lay down a cool beat or just outline the chord changes.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Depends entirely on the music. If it's jazz, then outline the chord changes...if it's rock, lay down a cool beat and hit the roots.

When jamming, keep it simple. There's a time to wank, shred, and make Vic look like someone who's paralyzed from the waist-down...and that is not whilst jamming.
  3. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    I would have to somewhat agree with that. If you know what you are doing, say guitarist ( or you for that mater0 says lets play in D Major, and you guys start playing, as long as it fits in D Major, and fits the rythm of the song, I say mess around a little bit, if you are up for it.

4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i've been in two jam a GD coverish thing, and the other was more i'm with a jazz/blues/??? project with a muthafunkin' guitar player.
    first band, i thought i was phil lesh...:D
    needless to say i wasn't. i wanked a lot, but they still liked me. :p
    second band, i learned how to hold a groove better, then go nuts when time to go off.
    current project, i keep a nice solid floor for the geet to play on, (i hope!) but that doesn't mean i'm being boring, either (ditto). one song we do, i'm doing primarily quarter note walking, but i walk the snot outa that thing while he goes off into space somewhere.
    i guess i'm telling you all this to say it all depends on what yer playing, but, for the most part, stay solid...especially if there is no drummer, and if the geet tends to play a lot of off rhythm stuff. he will depend on you to keep him honest.
    now, having said all that, if he likes it when you go off, do so! when you both can hold a musical conversation, it is a rush. usually, though, it takes time to develop the feel betwixt players to be able to pull it off, but that's why they call it practice, ey?
    i know there are waaaay more qualified folk that will prolly tell you better advice, but this is what works for me. :bassist: