Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roll Call - Steinberger Spirit owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, May 5, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I did a steinberger serch to find info on the EMG pickups and saw three threads (only 3) and no replies to them... So I am wondering among us here, who actually has this bass?

I have the 5 string model in white.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have an older 5 string in black. It is a nice bass and has gone around the world with me. I don't think I will ever sell it.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a older (before there was a Musicyo) four string model in black. I think they are quite good, especially for the money. I had thoughts of replacing the Selects before I actually got it; after I got it, I was suprized that the Selects sounded as good as they do. A clear, deep sound with no unwanted noise or hum. It's not my main axe, but it's a keeper.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a pair of XT-2s in black - one is in the process of being upgraded to EMG-HBs and a BTC at 18v (waiting for parts), and the other will be defretted and get new pickups at some point. Unless, of course, they release a fretless four first.

I'm rather fond of these things, and am saving up $ for a graphite reissue - they're expected later this year.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. But my "not worthy" Spirit has a Roscoe LG 3005, SKB 3005, Lakland dlx55, Pedulla Rapture 5, and '66 Jazz as stablemates, and they are all in good company.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I actually prefer the feel of the maple bodied XT-2's neck to the bowling-ball feel of a lot of the composite originals. I'm hoping the reissues will have necks by Moses...

8. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    I have an original XL2A that sits right next to a Spirit XT-2 in my music room and, while the original is indeed a better instrument, it is not $1500 worth of better. I find the Spirits' to be a remarkable value for the money.

I recently bought the new Spirit 4/6 doubleneck and I was impressed at how much instrument it really is and how well made it is for so little money. I was so impressed that I was forced to buy another one (the wife said I had too many black doublenecks so I thought I'd surprise her with a white one ;)).

I hope they come out with a re-issue of the M-Series pretty soon.