Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roll-off Popping Technique...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Hi all, just got a quick post to make...

I've noticed that I've been popping in a weird way of late. Basically, what I do is slap whatever the note before the pop is whilst muting the string that I want to pop with my index and little finger. Then, when I go to pop the string, I pop with the index finger but keep my little finger on (creating the standard muted pop sound), then pop my little finger, so you roll your hand off the strings almost. It creates a kinda weird sound, and basically I was just wondering if anyone else does it? Probably do, but I'm from a small town 'n' all...

Anyway, managed to do it mute w/ index, pop with middle, then mute w/ ring and pop with little for a weird syncopated slappin' 'n' poppin' shindig.

Mark.

PS. Reviewing that - it's a fast, fluid motion not just the equivalent of doing two standard pops...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do that sometimes when im not being careful of what Im doing. Its an interesting technique/sound but i try to avoid doing it. Nothing is wrong with it that i can see though.

3. Yeah, I just tried doing it in our funk version of Wild Thing as a sorta drum-fill kinda affair. It's uses are fairly limited, but it's still another tool in the box...