Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rolled fretboard edges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wyliee, May 3, 2005.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    The edges on one of my basses is a hard 90 degree angle. The fret edges are a little rough too.

Rather than just pulling out a file and sanding away, are there inexpensive planes or other tools that could help me round off the edge of the fretboard and tidy up the frets?

Thanks everyone for your time!!!!!!!

-Eric.

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Hey Eric, Stew-Mac has a fret bevelling file that works well to even up the edges, but if you have access to a table saw you can make your own in about half an hour and save the $40. You'll still need to dress the ends of the frets for a really smooth job after using it.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Just use the file. if you've got a long flat one with no handle, you can lay it sideways on the bord at an angle and make short work of it.

although this is coming from a guy who left his frets undressed and unfiled for months because i'm lazy, and consequently i have a pretty serious mix of calus and scar tissue on the inside of my left hand....

4. funkymachine

funkymachine

Jun 7, 2006
    Most Fender guitars and basses feature rolled fretboard edges. They also got a high detailed nut and fret work for better playability. These features began to appear in 1998 with the American Deluxe Series instruments and became extremely popular when the new American Series line replaced the American Standard models in 2001. The new S-1 switching system, introduced in 2003/2004, allows the pickups to be wired from series to parallel. For example, you can press the crown of the master volume knob on an American Series J-Bass and you get a fatter humbucking sound similar to that of a Precision. You can also make an American Series P-Bass to sound like a Jazz, by pressing the crown of the master volume knob.

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    is this a stealth ad? :eyebrow:

6. :eyebrow:

7. funkymachine

funkymachine

Jun 7, 2006
    A Mexican Fretless Jazz with S-1 switch? I saw the S-1 switching available only on the American Series basses. But a Mexican Jazz Bass fitted with the S-1 system sounds almost interesting. Currently, Fender doesn't fit all its basses with the S-1.

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
  9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No, this refers to the Americal Deluxe series only. (And this sounds like an advertisement.)

10. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Nope, just a big (BIG) fan of Fender :D