1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rolling like the Blues Brothers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Medicine Man, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    If you are looking for some tasty Duck Dunn, look elsewhere. At my gig last Saturday, a dozen young gentlemen decided to engage in a sporting match of fisticuffs. The end result was my band set a new personal record of 7 cop cars at the gig. I'm not proud, but ay least none of the band, band chicks, or regular fans were involved. Discounting preexisting security, what's the most police presence the rest of your audiences have attracted? Out of curiosity.....

hrodbert696, knumbskull, McG and 2 others like this.
  2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I hope you had chicken wire.

McG and Medicine Man like this.
  3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    The funny part was, we couldn't even see it from stage. Too bad, would have made for a better story.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Maybe you boys could learn the rackety old 98 for when you come back the next time. Did Bob make you pay for all the beers you fella's drank ?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  5. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Damn right he did. I had to pretend to write out a check on the dashboard.

6. I don't remember any fights at gigs, but I got shut down for noise a couple of times. One was a Sunday afternoon crab feed a neighbor had. We were set up behind his house. We were playing "Truckin'" by the Grateful Dead as two Sheriffs deputies came around the corner. It sounded like someone pulled the plug on a record player as we stumbled to a stop. Some guy on the next street was a day sleeper/night worker and he called the police.

The other was a fancy backyard fund raiser for the local symphony. I was playing with an amplified acoustic Celtic band. No drums. You could hardly hear us at the fence line, but it was too loud for somebody. We re-positioned our PA speakers and turned down to almost nothing and got through the gig. Some people just don't like music.

Medicine Man likes this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't view any of the police incidents from my live days the least bit amusing. I wish I could.

Medicine Man likes this.
  8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    In this case, no one got seriously hurt, just arrested. Certainly not what anyone wants to happen at a gig, so what can you do besides laugh it off?

9. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    I could tell you a story about the time we were playing a wedding and the BL had a heart attack right on stage. By the time it was all said and done, the best man was being hauled off for punching the ambulance driver.......

10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I dunno - that sounds like good songwriting fodder right there. Perhaps you should write the song first, then tell us about it while it zooms up the charts.

jeffbrown likes this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I assume you've been to Shaw's in NE ? we were playing there one night and a fight broke out in the back by the bathrooms, the bartender gal all 5' 3" of her jumped over the bar and into the middle of the scrimmage, she came out with this guy much bigger than she , had him by the back of the collar and the belt and gave him the bums rush out the front door with a few choice words, it was phenomenal, my guitar player missed the whole thing.

12. MANY years ago, after a very warm summer night's gig; one cruiser for a stolen tambourine (mine). Actually, it was a rowdy night, and he was stationed out in front of the dance hall. I tried to enlist the officer's help, but I was only a young, skinny, wild-eyed hippie. :laugh: At least he got out of the car, and as the perps slid into their ride, we heard the tambourine say "CHING," and away they went. I looked at him, he looked at me, shrugged, got back in the cruiser, and drove away in the opposite direction. >SIGH<

It was a pretty cheap tambourine.... :bassist::bassist:

13. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    One bar my sisters band was playing at but we were sitting a table band was in the middle of a set. She ws taking some time off as she had strained her voice a bit. This big ugly guy comes over and sits down next to my sister. She is 5'2 around 120 lbs and strong. I tell the guy its my sister and here husband is playing the drums who at this point is glaring at the guy. As the guy is sitting down his budy pulls up a chair behind me at the next table. The guy wont believe its my sister or the drummer is her husband. He leans in to kiss my sister. She smacks him in his nose with here fist. At the same time while getting out of my chair shove the table on top of the guy his friend is coming at me I give him a back kick in the face knocking him out. And ready to go back on the big guy if needed.
    Guessing it was the bouncer or bartender comes over and tells us to leave. I signal the band that had stopped playing by this time and her husband was walking towards us. Her husband hears we have to leave tells the guy if we have to go so does the band. So we all got to stay and the guy trying to sexual assault my sis and buddy had to be helped out.
    My brother in law started to get pissed at me for not doing something sooner. My sis looked at him and said he better let me have the first punch or she would be pissed at me.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No, I can't say I have. I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone else, but I will just point out that I played a lot of dive bars in Ft Wayne IN, and I saw people bloodied; people put their hands on myself and other band members; women were abused, and a guy was murdered by a bouncer, and then the powers that be covered it up, and it was awful. I didn't like who I was becoming during that time, and I have to admit I took a few pokes at some people myself. In my defense, most of them were bigger than I, but that's a weak defense because they were drunk and I was sober.

I'm sure there are some fun and funny stories; maybe even for me, but thinking about most of it now just makes me sad, and a little ashamed.

Sorry for the buzzkill, but I'm not kidding; I do believe some of you have some great and fun stories!

OCDave likes this.
  15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Shaws, Mayslacks, the 331, all great neighborhood bars in Nordeast with live music.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I haven't done the Mpls scene in years and years, and when I did, it was mostly Cabooze, Whiskey Junction, First Ave, Bunker's and the like. I've been to Bunker's a lot recently, but mostly because my dates wanted to go, and I have a lot of great memories of that place!

17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That place is still open ? The Cabooze aint what it use to be and whiskey junction is closing its doors in a couple weeks. Havent been to First Ave in years.

18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Medicine Man :)

I don' t like fights at our gigs but...

blues-brothers-car-crash-o.

...having some "cop car action action" can be cool :laugh::laugh::laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Medicine Man likes this.