Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rolling Stones at the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazylion, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    The Stones rocked like crazy! Even though Mick's mike didn't seem to be on at first, and Ron Wood's first lead wasn't audible til the last 3 notes, they still managed to kick butt! Loud and sloppy, ya gotta love it! Was that Michael McDonald on keyboards? He got so little face time I couldn't tell. Just a little less than Darryl Jones! A total of about 5 seconds!!:meh: Whew! Still catching my breath!
    :hyper:

2. ...rocked like crazy?

IMO that performance was the epitome of "one farewell tour too many."

3. Yeah, I don't know if it was the mix or what, but I didn't think it was a great performance at all. First song was especially bad. Don't even think they ended together on that one. Paul McCartney was a lot better last year.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I heard a bunch of bad notes and some sloppy play.
    I'm sure Mr. Jones was on the money.

5. I found it mightily mediocre. I've seen worse, but nothing too memorable.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, at least we didn't have to see Janet's boob again. :D

7. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Sounded terrible!

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The stage had monitors every 5 feet all the way around you would think they could have heard how off they were.

9. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I think it was one of the worst performances in several year. Mick Jagger needs a reality check, the stones lost it a long time ago.

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I don't know about you, but I'm always up for some boob.

11. wow, i never realized how much i hate the rolling stones til i saw them at the halftime, its life changing.....mick jagger has obviously done atleast 2 pounds of speed in his life, look at him! and i dont see why people like them so much, seriously, theyre not even that good, and theyre WAY overrated. they are originial, i'll give em that.

alright, lets think about this. they probly spent millions of dollars on that crappy 3 song performance. it was terrible, why the hell are we wasting our money and time setting up to hear a 10 minute performance by the oldest geezers on earth? i dont know about you, but i wouldnt spent 5 million bucks to see keith richards spine and back bones popping out of his shirt

12. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think Mick was the boob this year.

13. The stage was sick though, all things aside.

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    This always has been the stones and i love them! Love the sloppy punkish playing and the rangled mess they are. Great performers and song writers maybe not the best players but it works for the stones....if you dont belive it check their bank accounts and look at the fans they have world wide...the are the look of rock and always will go down as the greatist band of all time...not just the way i feel ...they were interduced that way. Love or hate um they are still here and their last album rocks. There are a crapload of jelious...wining...want to be critics on this board who slam bands , bassists etc from the clothes they wear to the basses they play to the color of their picks if god forbid they use one..get a life ...long live the stones and if you can do better go out and prove it...yea thats what i thought.

15. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I was just impressed that they could play such high energy music and still look like they were totally bored doing it... lol...

And seeing the drummer playing traditional grip was a groovy experience as well.

I didn't think it was too bad. More entertaining than any of the other entertainment I saw.

16. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks Smash..as you can see i love the Stones...i hope i can be just playing covers at 60 LOL...those guys still rock and Jagger looks like he 20 running around and swaying only like he can. I'm an older fart and playing (44) so us old guys need to stick together so rock on stones...who said you have to be smug young and dumb to play music...the Stones mix it up from rock to country to blues...look at most of our great blues plyers Buddy Guy B.B. should they hang it cuz they are old? maybe the older bands and dudes dont look so good these days but i am using my ears not my eyes to enjoy good music.Also God bless Cream for the great concerts this pass year...priceless.

17. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I was severely underwhelmed. I disagree with just giving them the thumbs up for having been around so long.

Key, pitch, time, togetherness. Good bands are tight bands, and the Stones, as mentioned earlier, were anything but this year.

That said, for 62, Mick's got a lot of giggle in his wiggle.

18. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Isn't Charlie Watts like 80 years old? Man! that guy needs to retire.

Bassconbeatz

19. Best. Post. Ever.

Amen

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm sure he was...

But unless it was just my crappy tv speakers, his tone was very sterile and frequently covered up...