1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rolling Stones bass in Cadillac Records

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Understudy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Understudy

Understudy

Jul 14, 2008
    First, I suggest Cadillac Records to anyone who hasn't seen it. Even though it may, for all I know, contain much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it was still good entertainment.

There is about one minute of Rolling Stones in the movie. The bassist (I'm assuming Wyman) is playing some gi-normous thing. Can anyone identify the instrument he was using, either from seeing the movie, or the likely instrument from that time, for the band?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Hmmm...I just watched the movie last week - and enjoyed it immensely. I am having trouble remembering what Bill Wyman was playing in that clip. I guess it didn't strike me as out of the ordinary. Was it his old Vox bass:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/adDetails/295

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Bill's a little guy, and back in the day he played a Framus that looked HUGE on him.

[​IMG]

4. Understudy

Understudy

Jul 14, 2008
    The attributes of the instrument that stand out in my memory are very large tuners, and a disproportionally small body for the length of the neck. He was playing it with the neck pointing almost straight up.

5. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Was it the Vox Teardrop bass?

[​IMG]

I used to have a Vox Foundation (1x18 Goodman) amp like that!

6. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Rickenbacker 4005 copy maybe?

7. Understudy

Understudy

Jul 14, 2008
    ExaltBass,

The actor was holding the bass in the manner of that Vox ad, but the tuners were 2x2, IIRC.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I wouldnt mind knowing either! Struck me as a mystery too.

Great movie, BTW.

9. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I guess I'll have to Netflix the movie and check it out. Those are the only 2 basses I remember him with back then.

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Didn't he also play a Travis Bean?
    That was much later on; haven't seen the movie yet but assume it takes place during the 60's

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    funny, i just saw that movie last week. it was great fun, but definitely gave me the vibe that they were playing it up for entertainment value. i doubt that chess's/mud's life was the soap opera that it appeared to be. and, of course, they only included one chess brother!

i guess my point is that they probly did not concern themselves with the historical accuracy of bill's bass. also, it seemed to me that they had the stones recording at chess before they showed a clip of elvis from the late 50's. didn't the stones go there in the early 60's?

still, a fun movie and great soundtrack.